• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEC 2023 Definition of Wet Location

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If you question the intent of codes, look forward to see if anything was clarified such as this example. I believe there is a lot of clarification with the definition of Location, Wet in the 2023 NEC.

Location, Wet. (Wet Location)
A location that is one or more of the following:
  • Unprotected and exposed to weather
  • Subject to saturation with water and other liquids
  • Underground
  • In concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth

I will take this a little further with the explanation:

Both the inside of a raceway in a wet location and a raceway installed underground are considered wet locations. Therefore, any conductors inside the raceway would be required to be suitable for wet locations.

See also 300.6(D) for the general requirement for protection against corrosion and deterioration, which also identifies several examples of wet locations. For requirements for luminaires installed in wet locations, see 410.10(A). See Table 110.28 for a list of suitable enclosures for wet locations.

Damp may cause some issues now, with the IN..

Location, Damp. (Damp Location)

Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP-1)
Informational Note:
Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

Flapper covers in your basement here we come...and at the kitchen counter and the bathroom.....All of which have as much moisture in the air as most of the wet-ish basements I have been in...