• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nec 406.8(c)

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have a receptacle outlet installed outside a tub that is 406.8© compliant. This is for a TV. Inspector is telling me it needs to be 3' from the edge of tub. Any codes I'm missing here requiring a rec for a TV to be at that distance?

This is in an inside bath BTW.

Thanks

Perhaps the inspector may be confused with article 410.10(D) parts of a cord connected luminaire, but receptacles would still be permitted immediately outside the tub/shower area.

+ $ +

Politely ask the Inspector to please provide you with the NEC Article

in question, or that you have violated.......See what they come back

with !

+ $ +

406.8© appears to allow it at the edge but not inside the tub foot print. Must be a new code?

steveray,

Hot tub!...hot tub!.. is't that Eddie Murphy's line when doing his James Brown impersonation?

Pcinspector1 said:
406.8© appears to allow it at the edge but not inside the tub foot print. Must be a new code?steveray,

Hot tub!...hot tub!.. is't that Eddie Murphy's line when doing his James Brown impersonation?
ON SNL?

in the movie::: “When I was growing up, if we wanted a Jacuzzi, we had to fart in the tub.”

2011 NEC 406.9.C and 2012 IRC E4002.11 states receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Maybe the inspector is using E4003.11 luminaries shall not have any parts located with a zone measured 3' horizontally & 8' vertically from the TOP of BATHTUB RIM or shower stall threshold.

BUT IS A BATHROOM A "Damp location"?

If there is a shower in the space, even though outside the "Tub area" could be a "Damp location"

California Electrical Code:

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and

not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but

subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of

such locations include partially protected locations under

canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like

locations, and interior locations subject to moderate

degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns,

and some cold-storage warehouses.

"....moderate degrees of moisture..."

Some bathrooms with showers... when people do not use a window or fan.

mark handler said:
"....moderate degrees of moisture..." Some bathrooms with showers... when people do not use a window or fan.
I wonder if that's the reason that overcurrent devices are not allowed in a bathroom. Or is it because there might be a locked door when somebody needs immediate access to a circuit breaker at the same time that somebody needs immediate access to a toilet?

ICE said:
I wonder if that's the reason that overcurrent devices are not allowed in a bathroom. Or is it because there might be a locked door when somebody needs immediate access to a circuit breaker at the same time that somebody needs immediate access to a toilet?
Or both ?