• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nec 517.13 (a)

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Under wiring method, is it permissible to use non-metallic (PVC conduit) below the slab and add an additional grounding wire verses EM conduit. Would this be allowed by code.

I don't see an exception.

Your comments are appreciated.

I might add that NEC 250.118 gives alternate ways to achieve equipment grounding.

No....Must be metal raceway or cable (HCF) "green MC"....not exactly sure why, but one of our really good sparkys might chime in...

& = &

PC,

If installed underneath the slab, the wiring assembly must

also be "wet rated"..........The reason for the metal type

assembly is to provide an effective ground fault current

path for the Patient Care Areas.

Is your installation for the Patient Care Areas ?

& = & = &

north star,

Yes, exam rooms.

Numerous other exam rooms had metal conduit from above the ceiling into the rooms but a few exam rooms where done with under slab PVC conduit. Contractor has run two extra grounding wires in a green jacket and is asking that I allow the code section NEC 250.118, alternate grounding. I'll need to approve or dis-approve.

& 0 &

PC,

Is the "green jacket" rated for a wet environment ?......If not, ...IMO

then they would have to install it above ground.

Can you provide the type of "green jacket" the Contractor is wanting to

install ?

& 0 &

north star,

Not all the rooms were PCA's, meds rm, nurses station, office spaces which I don't believe need to be in metallic conduit if you read the 517.2 definition of a PCA.

I do not know at this time the green jacketed grounding conductor.

$ = $ = $

PC,

You are correct, not all rooms "require" an approved grounding wiring assembly to them.

But if they do [ i.e. - the PCA's ], then they will require an approved grounding type

wiring assembly to them..............If any type of wiring goes below grade, it should be

"wet rated"...........If your Contractor cannot produce a "wet rated", approved grounding

type of wiring assembly, then he should not be installing it below grade.

$ = $ = $

The double ground wiring that you describe would not be a suitable equivalent for Article 517 grounding (metal raceway). I've seen jurisdictions in the south (but only a handful) allow this but that is special permission from the AHJ. I don't think it is compliant, however.

I believe in certain lengths you may be able to use certain types of "sealtite" as an EGC for this in wet locations, but you would have to verify this. You cannot use 2 grounds in PVC

The thread asks about under-slab PVC pipe.
And I answered that...
You cannot use 2 grounds in PVC

And then I offered more information that I have learned dealing with electricians that don't know their jobs as a potential solution if anyone ends up in a hard spot...

If the PVC is already in place and large enough, you may be able to pull a compliant raceway through it to make it work...

250.118 #5 20 amp and 6' max #6 and #7

That is a fantastic solution! provided the run of PVC is 6-foot or less! Now I'm cracking up! I will assume for the purposes of this discussion that the underground run of PVC is not 6-foot or less... ***Not to mention the fact that PVC must be installed as a complete system (352.30, 300.18).

Any other solutions for the electricians that don't know their jobs?

6' is typically all it takes to get to a dentist chair or exam table where you would have health care wiring in a slab (in my limited health care wiring experience)..."My" PVC example would not be a raceway....as it would not be "designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars"....Chapter 3 does not apply to it, it is not a wiring method in this instance.

There are times an inspector has to make the best of a bad situation. He could force the contractor to tear up the slab and redo the underslab conduit. The time delay would create a hardship for the occupants. The cost could break a small contractor. I know it's supposed to teach him a lesson, but nobody wins if it bankrupts the contractor and the doctor doesn't have an office. The inspector has to determine the intent of the code and whether the proposed solution provides equivalent safety.

There are times an inspector has to make the best of a bad situation. He could force the contractor to tear up the slab and redo the underslab conduit. The time delay would create a hardship for the occupants. The cost could break a small contractor. I know it's supposed to teach him a lesson, but nobody wins if it bankrupts the contractor and the doctor doesn't have an office. The inspector has to determine the intent of the code and whether the proposed solution provides equivalent safety.

I don't understand your point, and the talk about "what if's" and "teach him a lesson" and "nobody wins" and "going bankrupt." The topic was about Article 517. What is especially troubling here is when you say "the inspector has to make the best of a bad situation." If I had to guess, I'd say that weak enforcement has become the norm in this forum.

Your lack of understanding the job of inspector is apparent. Your piss poor attitude will cause many people to ignore the electrical forum. The insults that you toss around point to an agenda to demean inspectors and this forum. Code knowledge is great to have but your lack of manners defeats you.

It starts with the name you chose and ends with your last reply.

Last edited:
The job of the inspector is to verify compliance with code. Period. It isn't to take shortcuts, or to tell everyone how the code "is so grey" that it no longer matters, or to make up your own interpretations. And yes - I do suggest fixes whenever possible. But I don't cross the line as some here obviously do. I respect the codes, the people that write them, and what they have to say as far as interpretation. I don't manipulate the codes, or wordsmith the codes. And I dig deep to get to the true meaning.

I consider myself to be a professional, and I can see why I'm needed here. I will continue to post, so the public gets the true meaning of the NEC code in the various questions that are being asked. Have a good weekend!
Filthy McNasty

Your lack of understanding the job of inspector is apparent. Your piss poor attitude will cause many people to ignore the electrical forum. The insults that you toss around point to an agenda to demean inspectors and this forum. Code knowledge is great to have but your lack of manners defeats you.

It starts with the name you chose and ends with your last reply.

And I don't "demean" inspectors. But I will point out to them when they are wrong. I'm only trying to help them. Some here make it very hard for "the good" inspectors to do their jobs. And there are good ones out there, believe me.

And I don't "demean" inspectors. But I will point out to them when they are wrong. I'm only trying to help them. Some here make it very hard for "the good" inspectors to do their jobs. And there are good ones out there, believe me.

But you will not state your profession???