• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEC vs IRC for Violations such as this one

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I would still prefer to write up violations by referencing the NEC because I have known that book since 1987. I still struggle to find the code section for violations such as this one.

Is there a cross reference for these?

And BTW, what is the code reference for this????????????????

3/0 Copper service conductors to the panel from the meter base.

IMG_1753.jpg

Jeff,

In an attempt to assist you, what Article from the NEC are you citing as

being violated?

TABLE E3702.1

GENERAL INSTALLATION AND SUPPORT REQUIREMENTS FOR WIRING METHODSa, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k

E3806.1 Conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies or fittings.

Conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies or fittings shall be protected from abrasion.

At least they put extra tape around the conductors

Shouldn't the pipe have been reamed?

The 2006 IRC has a cross reference to the 2005 in the back of it Appendix Q. That may help.

ICC INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE ELECTRICAL

PROVISIONS/NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE CROSS-REFERENCE

Jeff,

Others have provided the correct IRC cross references. Instead of reaming the pipe end, an

approved type of thermoplastic bushing could be installed and still be compliant.

If those are service conductors then then a standard lock nut could not be used for bonding especially around reducing washers, you would need to use a bonding bushing, not just a plastic bushing. (See 250.92(B) NEC) I don't have the time right now to get you the IRC reference.

Chris

raider1 said:
If those are service conductors then then a standard lock nut could not be used for bonding especially around reducing washers, you would need to use a bonding bushing, not just a plastic bushing. (See 250.92(B) NEC) I don't have the time right now to get you the IRC reference.Chris
Holy crap, you are right. I missed that!!!

One more piece of humble pie today.

globe trekker said:
Jeff, Instead of reaming the pipe end, an

approved type of thermoplastic bushing could be installed and still be compliant.

Nope, still have to ream it.

344.28 Reaming and Threading.All cut ends shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges. Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (¾-in. taper per foot) shall be used.