• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need a history lesson on EEROs

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
Had an interesting inquiry from a local realtor's association regarding bedrooms in basements - when are EEROs required. My response was that if they were existing and legal (converted or otherwise built under permit) they would be subject to the code in effect at the time. So I went in our library and dusted off some mid-70s BOCA books, and didn't find anything close to EEROs.

My questions are:

1. Was BOCA (let's say, in 1975) applicable to one- and two-family dwellings (was CABO in existence then)?

2. When did EEROs first appear in the codes?

Apologies for the naivety - I'll again refer you to my 'handle'!

Thanks for your help!

in 1975 I was a BO in northern VA and yes the BOCA spoke to egress windows. The CABO code was also in use at that time.

Bill

The standard was the same 20" wide and 24" high with min square area of 5.7 sq. ft. I don't recall any verbage about window wells and ladders in those days.

Bill

In 1975 the standard for one and two family dwellings was 22x22 with a min. of 5.0 sq. ft. openings. It changed to what we now have today in the following code cycle.

Thanks, Bill. I just found it in §609.4 of the 1975 BOCA. I was looking for it to have its own section in the Egress chapter, as it does now.

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for the dumb question!!

There are no dumb questions... well, not many anyway.

First and foremost what code was in force at the time of construction?

From there what if any permits were required at the time of construction?

The Codes are only as good as the enabling legislation...

As far as history, 'egress windows' - the forerunner of EE&RO's - tended to be smaller because, as their name implies, they were primarily for getting OUT. With the advent of improved internal firefighting equipment and techniques, 'rescue' became a bigger issue. How do you get a firefighter IN to attack fire and rescue trapped occupants, and back out again? The larger size for above grade level windows (5.0 sf vs 5.7 sf) provides a little extra wiggle room for a firefighter in tunout gear with a SCOT pack climbing through a window from a ladder, and back out again with a potential victim.

Hi JBI,

I stand by my sizes. I don't have the reference materials any more, but I've never known any standard other than 20" wide, 24" tall and 5.7 Sq. Ft. Oh Yeah 44" sill height.

I'll be glad to be corrected, but that's what's been drummed into me. I started in Prince George's County, Maryland in 1973. That was the code there. I moved to Frederick County, Va. in 1975 and that was the code in that jurisdiction as well.

Bill

Can't speak for the legacy codes KZQ, I can tell you that some places used four sq ft and a minimum 18" in the least dimension for many years. Easy enough to climb out of in your jammies...

JBI said:
Can't speak for the legacy codes KZQ, I can tell you that some places used four sq ft and a minimum 18" in the least dimension for many years. Easy enough to climb out of in your jammies...
I was always told jammies and Fire Gear required different numbers.

Bill

The CABO 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Code has been around since at least 1970. Virginia amended the 1 & 2 Family Code in 1975 & 1978 to allow 3 sq. ft. & 16" minimum dimension.