• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need a little help

tbz

Silver Member
Not sure where to post this question, but I am going to do it here and if it needs to be moved, I will defer to the powers that be.

Have a post WW2 cape cod, the left side of the home has aluminum siding on the "A" peak from the 70's covering old clap board siding that has paint on it.

This side of the home had an aluminum awning that during the big snow push this winter came down pulling 4 sections of siding loose mid span and the bottom pc half off.

We did not test for lead paint, (a) because we are not that type of contractor and (b) not certified.

We are going to be installing a new metal awning for the client and they have requested we fix the siding.

I am pretty sure the paint behind the siding is lead based because of the town and all the RRP contractors you see doing painting projects.

Here lies my question, since this is resetting nails and replacing 1 section of siding am I out of place just fixing it or is this a bigger issue than that?

I am only asking here because of the recent post about Lowes.

Thank you for any input.

As long as you don't disturb that lead paint, I see no issue. By the way, the test for lead is a cheap kit at the box store. It is asbestos that gets tricky and requires a hazmat crew.

Thank you ICE,

I feel better knowing an Inspector from southern Cal. sees it that way.

We used to carry the test kit 8 packs with us on the trucks, we did this to figure out if we need to wrap the old steel railings when taking away for clients.

however, I found it's best just to figure you are looking at lead being on there, wrap in plastic and let the scrap person who picks them up by us figure it out.

Plastic wrap is cheaper than a missed false negative.

I would agree with the chilled one, I don't think reattaching siding is a disturbance as far as lead based paint is concerned. Now if you were removing the painted siding......another story.

steveray said:
I thought there was a minimum for disturbance of like 6sqft......but not an expert....
That's my understanding as well... 6 sq. ft. or more disturbed, and municipal inspectors are not to enforce the RRP rules. From my understanding it is solely a State/Fed EPA rule, including all enforcement.

So, for nailing siding on, do you take the entire siding area? Or the total area of the combined nail penetrations?

I would take the entire area as the siding rubbing on the paint will also disturb it, especially if the paint is in poor condition. We do not enforce-- EPA does.

From Franks link.......

Minor repair and maintenance activities are activities, including minor heating, ventilation or air conditioning work, electrical work, and plumbing, that disrupt 6 square feet or less of painted surface per room for interior activities or 20 square feet or less of painted surface for exterior activities where none of the work practices prohibited or restricted by §745.85(a)(3) are used and where the work does not involve window replacement or demolition of painted surface areas. When removing painted components, or portions of painted components, the entire surface area removed is the amount of painted surface disturbed. Jobs, other than emergency renovations, performed in the same room within the same 30 days must be considered the same job for the purpose of determining whether the job is a minor repair and maintenance activity.

Exterior painted surface 20sf & interior 6sf per room. But I'd check with Home Depot first!

ADAguy said:
Since when is Home Depot an AHJ?
The last time I was in Home Depot, I saw an employee giving electrical code advice and another giving plumbing advice. Doesn't that make them an AHJ?