• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need a UL# for a unique condition

Spencer Coles

Hey guys, our contractor ended up tearing out an existing wall on a remodel we were doing and replacing it. 4’ of the wall was called out to be 1 hr rated but they missed that when they re-built it.

I now have a 6” 20 ga. mtl stud wall with 1/2” cdx plywood on exterior side with stucco finish. The interior is yet to be completed.

I can’t find a UL assembly without a gyp. bd. called out on the exterior. Is there a way to make this a 1hr rated wall (without taking stucco off) and provide the inspector a UL# or any other proof that it is now a 1 hr assembly?

I have looked at table 721.1 and am not seeing anything there that can help. Maybe I am just missing it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome

1. Build a one hour wall inside.

Maybe dens glass shaftliner

2. Do the cookbook, chapter 7 where it tells you the rating for different materials. Will have to find the section

3. Wait for better responses

Does the exterior side of the wall need to be rated?

Need to know more info to answer your question.... predominately what type of rated assembly is it (rated exterior wall, fire barrier, fire partition, etc.).

Like TyJ siad...It depends on why the wall is rated...

705.5 Fire-resistance ratings. Exterior walls shall be fireresistance
rated in accordance with Tables 601 and 602 and
this section. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior
walls with a fire separation distance of greater than 10 feet
(3048 mm) shall be rated for exposure to fire from the inside.
The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls with a
fire separation distance of less than or equal to 10 feet (3048
mm) shall be rated for exposure to fire from both sides.