• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEED HELP

sergoodo

Hello everyone!

Seems like I am involved in another hot button issue and need some more direct responses, cause I am hard headed.

ATTIC:

We put HVAC in the attic in a single story building, and due to AHJ interpretation of 2008 electrical code, we are putting transformers in the attic with some cooling required along with "stair access" acceptable to reviewer. Per 2003 IBC 413.2 we rate the attic for storage. Server equipment is also placed in the attic in an HVAC separated space.

Deed restricts property to single story

Shell was permitted as single story

I say its still an attic, all the space is above the top plate below the rafters.

I need all the hard reasons its a 2nd story...pound away please AND the more responses before 2:30 the better

glad I found ya'll, will post later about my interaction w/icc

Re: NEED HELP

I think that if you use the trems "attic" and "story" as defined in the definitions of the current code cycle you are under that would work.

Need more info. Commercial or residential? IRC or IBC? "Second story" can be a some what complicated issue. I'm out of the office until the 9th of Nov. But if you send me a private message I will hook you up with my HVAC expert. I'm sure he can help. JP

JP - Thanks! Commercial IBC 2003

Forest - Thanks! pretty tight, the only possible direction out of being classified as a "story" is the definition of "floor" I found "floor area" and what I read is that attic area "shall be usable area" and "net floor area" is not include the functions I have listed in the attic.

here is the jump...

the decking in the attic is classified as usable area...not floor area....therefore it will not fit the definition of "story"

no floor definition in IBC!

Just my two cents, but there's no reason to assume that the building code's definitions of "story" and "attic" apply to restrictions on the deed.

In my mind, questions about deed restrictions are more appropriate for a real estate attorney than a code official.

brudgers

Thanks, Good Point! will see what the tiger does with that meat

Thanks everybody for the responses...out the door with a little extra!

IBC 505.5 - "Equipment platforms within buildings shall NOT contribute to the either the building area OR THE NUMBER OF STORIES..."

If they are going to ignore section 505.5, then you might be able to qualify the upper floor as a mezzanine under IBC 505, even if if you have to wall off a portion of it to keep the area to 1/3 the area of the floor below. A mezzanine is not considered a story: just a floor level within a story. It won't need to be open to the floor below, since the occupant load will be under 10 (IBC 505.4 exception #3).

Tom

Its not a story. An attic is the space under the roof rafters. Since the only use is mechanical, it needn't be looked at any other way.

atomahutna: 505.5 - I missed that! I think it is pointedly relevant and need response for the following.

1. IBC 2003 has 505.5 termed as "Industrial" equipment platforms. this is B occ single story <9000sf wood stud construction. Commercial type zoning. Is there a response if the opinion is given that not applicable because of the industrial term? Maybe office type transformers and HVAC equipment is termed as industrial some way?

the area is also used as attic storage IBC 413 and attic access per IBC and the shell building will have multiple tenants with all types of variation no storage, to storage with attic access stairs, pull down stair etc. NEC 2008 has been adopted and the current interpretation for transformers located in the attic require permanent stair - no pull downs and the space needs HVAC.

2 The Attic with decking fireproofing per IBC2003 413 for storage space and HVAC for server room, transformer and climate influenced storage (not designed HVAC, just leftover cfm from unit conditioning the transformer and server spaces) can be classified as enclosed mezzanine which would eliminate the fireproofing and resolve how to account for IBC square footage. My opinion is attic classification is safer, however, accounting for the square footage becomes the problem - we add footage we trigger all sorts of issues the AHJ wants resolved, add parking, reclassify as 2 story, accessibility...What have I missed in the code regarding attic square footage or am I stuck with mezzanine?

AGAIN THANKS