• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need Help

Cubsfan2016

I am taking my B2 certification test in April. I need advice on what I should be concentrating on or any study/test tips that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tab your chapters, highlight key phrases and standards referenced. Don't try to memorize the codes, focus on learning where things are. The index can be very helpful, often of the four possible answers only one will be in the index and when you get to that page it's clearly the right answer. The same goes for the definitions in chapter 2. Take the practice tests. When you do take the test, focus on speed. If you know the answer, or can find it fast, answer and move on. If you're not sure, guess and flag. You should try to have every question answered in close to half the time. Then you can go back and check your flagged questions.

I always use the flashcards from ICC - basically the same concept as a practice test. I go through them card by card and look up each question, even if I know the answer. That helps me navigate the book quickly on test day.

I also went through the IBC page-by-page with a highlighter. That takes some time, for sure, but I passed on the first try...

Take the B3 test right after you take the B2, the questions are over very similar material and then you will have a Plan Review certification that may come in handy in the future. If you wait to take the B3, you will have to re-study before you will be ready to take it.

What format is the test? If it's multiple choice, then determine how many questions and how much time you have. Do the math to figure out how much time should be spent on each question. Budget accordingly: do not spend 15 minutes on one question if that means running out of time and not answering five questions you could have answered in six minutes. (Leave the difficult questions to the end, if you have to.)

I personally found that tabbing and highlighting my code books just ended up as visual noise, and was not a help to me. I would my table of contents and index out of my books at the start of the exam for easier and quicker access.
A good study method is to grab a set of current plans and go over every written word on the plans, and find the correct reference in the book. This will help reinforce the location of information in the book, which is the most critical thing.