• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need of some guidance

jdromani

Hello,

Im a new comer to this forum.

I graduated with a civil engineering degree. Recently I was laid off due to budgetary reasons. I am trying to get back in the market but I haven't found any entry level jobs. Just the other day, I saw a posting for a Building Inspector I (entry level). It got my interest so now I am seeking to obtain a certification for Residential Building Inspector.

So my question is, How would one go on to study for this exam and pass it (of course)?

What would I need to bring to the exam? I read you need to provide your own book. Would it be the IBC 2012 or IRC 2012?

Oh, is there a big difference between the 2009 and 2012 exam? Which one should I take?

I have about 2 weeks to study and pass the exam.

If there is any tips for the exam or where to find study guides or practice test(s), that would be amazing!

Thank you

Hope to hear from you guys :)

For Residential Building Inspector you need the Residential Code. It probably doesn't matter which code you get tested on (I never saw an employer care which code you were tested on). I would take the 2012.

Get the Study Companion from the ICC. I've found that they point out every area you need to know (coincidence? I think not).

I also recommend the stick-on tabs for the book. The test is not about knowing the answers, it's about knowing where to find them.

Tim

Contact the ICC. I'm pretty sure that it's the current code that the test is based on. There is an ICC office in Whittier so you can get the books on Monday.

Ca. didn't adopt the electrical, mechanical or plumbing portions of the Residential code but to get the certification, you will be tested on those. A Residential Combination Inspector certification may be in your future.

I don't know if it would be wrong or not but you might consider withholding the fact that you are an engineer until after the probationary period. An employer may think that you will leave whenever you find an engineering position. Smile a lot and tell a few jokes...they'll never suspect that you're an engineer.....come to think of it, that might be tougher than the test.

As a few words of encouragement...my employer hires engineers as inspectors...however, they are usually from another country...Argentina and the Philippines come to mind...wait a minute, there's one from Bakersfield...is that considered part of the USA...and Anaheim sounds sorta German huh.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going for ICC certification??

If so it should tell the books you need

Oh and welcome!!!!!

You ca scroll through the employment thread below for job openings

When you interview...

Be sure to stick your finger in your nose, scratch your butt a lot, and lick the first window you see. Tell them it taste like Copenhagen.

Don't forget to mention all the "high end" stuff you did. For sure, say you were a door gunner for the Marines, and you were the guy that shot Bin Laden.

Probably won't even need a certification at all.

Just pure inspector material right there. They'll know when they see it.

Brent.

TimNY said:
For Residential Building Inspector you need the Residential Code. It probably doesn't matter which code you get tested on (I never saw an employer care which code you were tested on). I would take the 2012.Get the Study Companion from the ICC. I've found that they point out every area you need to know (coincidence? I think not).

I also recommend the stick-on tabs for the book. The test is not about knowing the answers, it's about knowing where to find them.

Tim
Thanks for the tip.

Would I need the ICC 2012 or the RBC 2012 when taking the test?

Would you know of any sites where they provide free study guides ?

Im going for the Residential Building Code.

I know you have to go according to the RCB 2012 but for the day of the test, do I bring the ICC or RBC?

jdromani said:
Im going for the Residential Building Code. I know you have to go according to the RCB 2012 but for the day of the test, do I bring the ICC or RBC?
See post. 5 above

The books needed should be in one of the links

Sorry does not copy well, looks like one book

B1 Residential Building Inspector 60 multiple-choice questions Exam fee: $160 Open book—2-hour time limit

Content Area

% of Total

Reference

Code Administration Building Planning Footings and Foundations Floor Construction

4%

8% 16% 14% 27% 14% 17% 100%

2012 International Residential Code®

Store ID: (soft-cover) 3100S12; (M) $91.50; (N) $122 or Store ID: (loose-leaf) 3100L12; (M) $107; (N) $143

cda said:
Sorry does not copy well, looks like one bookB1 Residential Building Inspector 60 multiple-choice questions Exam fee: $160 Open book—2-hour time limit

Content Area

% of Total

Reference

Code Administration Building Planning Footings and Foundations Floor Construction

4%

8% 16% 14% 27% 14% 17% 100%

2012 International Residential Code®

Store ID: (soft-cover) 3100S12; (M) $91.50; (N) $122 or Store ID: (loose-leaf) 3100L12; (M) $107; (N) $143
Thanks. Just order the IRC 2012 book and the tabs.

Im trying to find sites where I can study and take quizzes to prepare me for the exam.

jdromani said:
Thanks. Just order the IRC 2012 book and the tabs. Im trying to find sites where I can study and take quizzes to prepare me for the exam.
ICC has their online campus, which gives you a study guide for the test(s) you want to take. I think they're like $69 or $79 per course, but in my experience they're worth twice that. Especially if you're in a time crunch - they will prepare you for the test. The certs I've gotten so far, I would not have without the ICC Campus.

And hey - welcome to the forum.

In our locality for building inspectors we look for people with relevant hands on experience in building trades and preferably some supervisory experience.

With engineering degree and some experience you might be better suited to a plans review position.

Unless they have worked for another jurisdiction, very few have the state plans review or inspector certs.

If they have worked for several other jurisdictions that is a red flag that needs to be cleared before we will hire as in we are concerned with "Do they play well with others?" issues.

It is easier to hire for attitude and teach the codes than it is to hire for code knowlege and adjust attitudes.

I second the ICC online campus. It will get you used to taking timed, open code book exams. Tabs for the 2012 IRC are cheap insurance when you are flipping through the code book like a madman trying to find the answers. Good luck!

JCraver said:
ICC has their online campus, which gives you a study guide for the test(s) you want to take. I think they're like $69 or $79 per course, but in my experience they're worth twice that. Especially if you're in a time crunch - they will prepare you for the test. The certs I've gotten so far, I would not have without the ICC Campus.And hey - welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much.

I'll definitely look into it.

Since you have a civil engineering degree it is obvious you know how to prepare for and pass a test. If you have a background in residential construction 2 weeks should be plenty of time to prepare. If residential construction is new to you then you will need more time to prepare. Ideally you should get a job swinging a hammer for a few years prior to becoming an inspector. I am frustrated with people who think they are qualified to be an inspector for no other reason than they passed a test and now possess a certification.

It's all well and good to say and inspector should have this and that credential.

If the municipality won't pay for those credentials they will not get applicants with those credentials.

I don't think anybody other than the employer is in a position to tell the applicant what credentials they should have.

Pay 100k/yr and you will get inspectors with all those qualifications. Anybody else will just be getting their foot in the door and moving on.

Tim