• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need some help here.

crothemi

Where I work we have a data center with a Preaction sprinkler/fire system installed in it.

The sprinkler acpect is tested quarterly.

My question is with the EPO.

Does the EPO function as an output of the fire alarm system have to be tested annualy?

All the people here with pocket protectors and TI-35's are up in arms about me wanting to shutdown their servers.

If anyone knows what chapter and verse of NFPA I should look in for help please let me know.

Look in NFPA 25 and 72 for testing "requirements". It is possible to test parts of the EPO without actually dumping the power.

Testing EPO's can be done depending on how the EPO is configured.

For the Geeks, the best way to conduct a full test is when you plan an outage, even the Geeks need to have an outage once in a while for other issues.

If you do not test it then you do not know if it will work , and if it burns up their system what are the it guys going to do??

But there are other things tied into a fire alarm system that are not full function tested

Like clean agent systems

Also sounds like an added feature that is not required

What does it take to trip the epo?? Every time the fire alarm goes off or when the clean agent dumps, or????