• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEMA OS4?

steveray

SAWHORSE
This is really an energy code but an electrical answer.....So I am hoping one of the sparkys know....

Anyone know if there is a NEMA OS4 old work box? Or does the new energy code make old work in an exterior wall illegal?

N1102.4.6 (R402.4.6) Electrical and communication
outlet boxes (air-sealed boxes). Electrical and communication
outlet boxes installed in the building thermal
envelope
shall be sealed to limit air leakage between
conditioned and unconditioned spaces. Electrical and
communication outlet boxes shall be tested in accordance
with NEMA OS 4
, Requirements for Air-Sealed Boxes for
Electrical and Communication Applications, and shall
have an air leakage rate of not greater than 2.0 cubic feet
per minute (0.944 L/s) at a pressure differential of 1.57
psf (75 Pa). Electrical and communication outlet boxes
shall be marked “NEMA OS 4” or “OS 4” in accordance
with NEMA OS 4. Electrical and communication outlet
boxes shall be installed per the manufacturer’s instructions
and with any supplied components required to
achieve compliance with NEMA OS 4.

Whenever I hear someone say "NEMA" this or "NEMA" that, I realize that it has no real meaning.

This is from NEMA:
While NEMA administers the process and establishes rules to promote fairness in the development of consensus, it does not write the document and it does not independently test, evaluate, or verify the accuracy or completeness of any information or the soundness of any judgments contained in its standards and guideline publications.

NEMA has no power, nor does it undertake to police or enforce compliance with the contents of this document. NEMA does not certify, test, or inspect products, designs, or installations for safety or health purposes. Any certification or other statement of compliance with any health or safety-related information in this document shall not be attributable to NEMA and is solely the responsibility of the certifier or maker of the statement.

This is the most telling statement from NEMA:
Anyone using this document should rely on his or her own independent judgment or, as appropriate, seek the advice of a competent professional in determining the exercise of reasonable care in any given circumstances.

What they're saying is, "Even we don't trust this stuff."

Last edited:
Seems pretty normal for any SDO. From NFPA:
"NFPA codes, standards, recommended practices, and guides (“NFPA Standards”) of which the document contained herein is one, are developed through a consensus standards development process approved by the American National Standards Institute. This process brings together volunteers representing varied viewpoints and interests to achieve consensus on fire and other safety issues. While the NFPA administers the process and establishes rules to promote fairness in the development of consensus, it does not independently test, evaluate, or verify the accuracy of any information or the soundness of any judgments contained in NFPA Standards."

Here's all of that: http://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Standards/Standards-Development/Disclaimers

And this from the preface of the 2018 IBC:
"While the I-Code development procedure is thorough and comprehensive, the ICC, its members and those participating in the development of the codes disclaim any liability resulting from the publication or use of the I-Codes, or from compliance or noncompliance with their provisions. The ICC does not have the power or authority to police or enforce compliance with the contents of this code."

As far as product standards, they're all standards developer organizations developing ANSI standards (ICC only a few), follow the same consensus process, the ANSI essential requirements, etc. And the organization's all have similar disclaimers, as I showed.

They may have other activities that are less similar but not their standards work.

To each his own. I have not considered NEMA to be anything more than a national electrical manufacturers association.