• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New ADAAG a Reality

Gene Boecker

Gold Member
On Friday, without fanfare, the Attorney General Eric Holder signed into law the final regulations of the new ADA.

The new ADAAG (also called the ADA-ABA) is expected to be published in the Federal register possibly as early as tomorrow. It will become "effective" in six months from that date. There is an 18 month time frame, however, for "applicability." The 18 months comes into play for new construction and alterations. However, like the first adoption, that means “first occupancy” not “permit application.” If the building does not have a C of O (or at the very least a TCO) by the time the 18 months is up it falls subject to the new rules. Effectively, January 2012 will see the new rules required.

For long lead projects, designers need to start thinking new rules right away and for phased projects, some of what’s already been designed may need to be rethought if the phasing will be lengthy.

Spread the word.

It’s finally happened.

The thing I continue to say, we are getting closer to what?

We cannot get compliance to the existing codes and regulations, all that is happening, is a change in verbiage.

Not a magic bullet, by any means.

In CA, CBC is still the rule....

I do work outside CA, and the New ADAAG might have more impact outside CA.

CA work is still subject to the ADA but with the more recent changes to the CA Accessibility Regs there are fewer issues where one will supersede the other.

However, CA does not address recreational facilities or judicial facilities so these need special attention from an ADA perspective because that document contains rules for the accessible design of those facilities. That being said, I understand that the CA Commission on Accessibility Access will be hearing new proposed rules which may have an effective date similar to that of the new ADAAG.

It shouldn't go without mentioning that yesterday was the 20th anniversary of ADA, I heard it on the news several times so the general public is aware. Maybe make it another national holiday?

Gene Boecker said:
CA Commission on Accessibility Access will be hearing new proposed rules which may have an effective date similar to that of the new ADAAG.
Don't hold your breath, won't happen

Gene Boecker said:
CA Commission on Accessibility Access will be hearing new proposed rules which may have an effective date similar to that of the new ADAAG.
mark handler said:
Don't hold your breath, won't happen
I don't know about the effective date, but SB1608 does require DSA to secure DOJ certification of the CBC.