• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New and Learning

rflaherty825

Hello Everyone

My name is Ryan and I am from Wilkins Township PA. (Near Pittsburgh)

I recently found this wonderful place as I was working on updating files. A little bit about me is I have been in the Fire Service for 16 years. I currently serve as the assistant Chief of my department. I am currently the Deputy FIre Marshal for our township and currently in training to Succeed the current Fire Marshal. Where I really enjoy this line of work I have a long way to go yet. I am trying to transition his files into digital files using a system like Emergency Reporting Occupancy Module. This is a lot of work and sadly I don't have a whole lot to go on here one of my first questions was so do you have anything to help with building classification and his answer was not unless you have X ray glasses. Where I understand his answer it still made me shake my head a bit haha.

Anyway Im here to learn, network and find some help specifically with this line of work.

Stay Safe
Ryan

Welcome

We started using ERS about two years ago.

This year we are trying to put more info in the pre plan tab

Yes kind of a guess what some of the stuff is.

I hate to say unless you will really use the info in some way,,, just get the important stuff,, like Sq ft , occupant load, fire protection systems,,, etc

Have you been to any NFA inspection classes ??

This is a self supporting site..

If you pay to be a Sawhorse,,, you can direct upload pictures/ files of problems, even from a smart phone…

Cheap to help support the site

Thanks for the welcome so this adventure started late last year during the pandemic where our current Fire Marshal who is 84 started grumbling he needs to retire. So me being intrigued about it stepped up. Through lots of research I started learning on my own about the fire code and such. Then I found out that BUCKs county community college was offering inspector classes. So after a few months of classes and testing and waiting on paperwork I completed Inspector 2. I have joined a few organizations and submitted my stuff to the PA L and I for certification. That so far is the extent of the classes ive taken. I have plans and interest in taking as many classes as I can so that I can continue to further my education.

IN regards to Emergency Reporting I agree on not really filling everything in especially all at once. Once I fully take over as the Fire Marshal and can implement my own system of doing things I may add more as it is available but I am focusing on the basic business info, inspections, actions, contacts and such. I recognize this is going to take me quite some time to accomplish but gonna take bites at it each week and one day I can go oh look its all in haha.

So now,,, what kind of inspections do you do??

Annual

new business

construction

new fire protection systems

other ???

Right now Annual and New Business Inspections is the large bulk, we do issue some permits just not many. However the Township is very interested in expanding the fire prevention department but wont state as to what they want to do sooooo yea haha.