• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New build: stub out closet for future bathroom

tnerb11

Hello,

I am in the process of a new build and have asked my developer for a quote to have plumbing stubbed out in an upstairs closet so I can convert this to a bathroom in the future. When asking for a quote, the builder mentioned that this is probably not possible due to building codes (Bend, OR in Deschutes County). I wanted to see if this community may have run across this before so I can better understand what the concern is here. I've read through the local code here and cannot find any details for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome!

No idea why the closet could not be properly roughed in for future use, no different than a basement. I suppose it could be a local thing.

Welcome

Not a plumber, but same conclusion

The ahj may want a few more bathroom things, maybe exhaust, glif

As always be like rocket man, launch it see if it flys with the ahj.

Maybe mark the room for future use or similar, so the ahj at least knows what you are trying to do.

Should be silimlar to unfinished basement

Best to ask the jurisdiction directly. Many parts of Oregon have strict requirements governing water supply and septic systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICE
While your at it ask for a 20 amp wire to be installed. You need a 20 amp outlet in bathrooms.
AFCI of course. And don’t forget an exhaust fan. A Solatube is a nice touch. Receptacles and lights can go in now. Same with a medicine cabinet. Do the whole thing in green board with backing where you'll need it. Get pictures so it will be easy to find the waste pipe for the toilet and tub/shower. If there's an exterior wall it will seem dumb without a window. Then insulate the interior walls to keep the noise down. And last but not least, I appreciate my laundry chute.

About the only glitch here is the plans and permits. Get permits, or not, take your own crew in on a weekend and bang it out.

Last edited: