• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Defintion of Townhouse Unit

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The definition of Townhouse has been tweaked, and a new definition has been added for Townhouse Unit.

TOWNHOUSE. A building that contains three or more attached townhouse units.

TOWNHOUSE UNIT. A single-family dwelling unit in a townhouse that extends from the foundation to the roof and has a yard or public way on not fewer than two sides.

I have to question - if it's so obvious - is a definition really needed? If the definition wasn't in the code, what would be different?

I think that the change is to define "townhouse" as the entire building, whereas the common usage has been the individual unit. If they had to add a definition for the entire building it would have been less confusing to keep "townhouse" as the individual unit and add "townhouse building" as a building containing multiple townhouses.

I've posted this before. Florida has its own definition of Townhouse.

TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit not exceeding three stories in height constructed in a group of two or more attached units with property lines separating such units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on not less than two sides.