• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Here

S.H.R

My name is Matthew, 31 years of age and live in Kansas. Own a small construction company while trying to study for my General Contractor test. Currently as i am typing this out i am going through the 2015 IBC book.

Welcome Matthew. There is a lot of information here and plenty you could research about. One of the most surprising things you will find is that often you will get multiple interpretations of the same code and often this is based on the location of the person giving their opinion. You can take all of the opinions into consideration, re-read the code section and formulate your own.

Also, don't listen to anything ICE says here. He is an old, cranky man from California. :D

Welcome Matthew. There is a lot of information here and plenty you could research about. One of the most surprising things you will find is that often you will get multiple interpretations of the same code and often this is based on the location of the person giving their opinion. You can take all of the opinions into consideration, re-read the code section and formulate your own.

Also, don't listen to anything ICE says here. He is an old, cranky man from California. :D
And if you can't think of one, Jeff thinks that I will make one up for you.

Last edited:
My name is Matthew, 31 years of age and live in Kansas. Own a small construction company while trying to study for my General Contractor test. Currently as i am typing this out i am going through the 2015 IBC book.
Watch what you say about your inspectors, lol.

Unless you are looking at going into a lot of commercial work, the IRC will be your best bet to study for the contractor exam. The IBC has a lot more issues that will be dealt with in plan review by the design professionals than by the GC, and the IBC does not cover single family residential.

Watch what you say about your inspectors, lol.

Unless you are looking at going into a lot of commercial work, the IRC will be your best bet to study for the contractor exam. The IBC has a lot more issues that will be dealt with in plan review by the design professionals than by the GC, and the IBC does not cover single family residential.
Haha, what a small little world! I have nothing but love for the inspectors. I'm not looking at a lot of commercial work I just have a really good friend that said if I am going to get my license to get the A. I have taken it 3 times and failed with a 60

I am full of questions. Just don't know which one to start with. I am not afraid to admit that I don't know a lot when it comes to the IBC IRC. Its doing things the minimum way that trips me up. I am for sure thankful i stumbled upon this forum.

I was always interested in what is required to have a contractors license in other states since PA does not require one. I always thought it was mostly about insurance. It's nice to know that code knowledge is required too.

I was always interested in what is required to have a contractors license in other states since PA does not require one. I always thought it was mostly about insurance. It's nice to know that code knowledge is required too.

Yeah, i think it is important to have code knowledge, but I have worked for contractors that had to take the test, and they didn't apply it. Which is frustrating i think in my area we just adopted the test taking i think 10-15 years ago