• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Installation Test

Francis Vineyard

A question was asked about where does the code require the inspection and testing of new installed wheel chair lifts and I wasn't able to find it. Chapter does specifically invite that personnel hoist shall be field tested; but I'm having difficulty with the language that specifically calls out the requirement for "inspection and testing" new installation including elevators, escalators, etc.

Is this requirement implied?

Re: New Installation Test

I have the A17.1 - 96 but I contacted one of our elevator inspectors in Richmond, emailed me VA administrative section 113 and chapter 30, only scheduled maintenance inspection is listed.

There is actually a separate standard, I think, for lifts which include home installations. I have some good training material from a class I took a couple of years back. PM me your address, and I'll drop you a copy.

You probably need to go with the state administrative code, tho... (but the material makes great reading.. if you have insomnia)..

You can download the 2004 edition, which the VaUSBC incorporates, from this website:

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Several states' elevator codes are listed. They all seem to be based on the 2004 edition. It's a 76 MB document, so it takes a little while to download.