• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Justlisawv

Hi board members, my name is Lisa. I am a WV Hillbilly who is here to learn for a project I am about to embark on, a small cottage on a permanent foundation. I have helped build houses before but the codes are different in the town I am starting this project. (Hurricane ties?? :D ) I think I can, I think I can, I think I can :) I am sure I will find tons of useful information on this forum, I will thank you all for your patience with me in advance!

Welcome Lisa, this is not really a DIY'er forum, more a forum for building code professionals to post questions, answers, etc. That is not to say that you can't ask questions, or we can't help you, just notice that we will be able to assist in your building code questions, not the minutia of actually building a "cottage".

It sounds like you may have started in the right direction, that you have determined who the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is, and what the adopted building code is.

Are there adopted amendments to the published code? Have you reviewed them?

Have you met with the Building Official/Plans Examiner/Building Inspector yet to discuss your proposed project? Good place to start.

Good luck in your endeavor!

I thought it would possibly just be a place to search for answers to any questions I have. Yes I spoke to the Planner and the Building Inspector. Submitted all my stuff and got a permit. I just want to be thorough and make sure I check everything as its done. Thanks for the welcome, I read as much of the NC building code books as I can that apply to what I am doing. I gathered quickly from looking at posts that most the people here were building professionals sharing info and will keep that in mind.

# # ~ # #

Justlisawv,

Also, ...Welcome to The Building Code Forum !

What is the reference to "Hurricane ties ?.........Do you know what

the wind speed is in your location ?

# # ~ # #

Lisa,
If you start a thread in the residential forum and post pictures as the work is being done, the people here won't be able to resist commenting. High resolution pictures make the difference. For a nominal fee you can place the pictures directly into a post. Or you can provide links to cloud storage. You will probably get more attention if the pictures are out in the open.

If you decide to do that I would recommend posting pictures before work gets covered up with other work.

Lisa,
If you start a thread in the residential forum and post pictures as the work is being done, the people here won't be able to resist commenting. High resolution pictures make the difference. For a nominal fee you can place the pictures directly into a post. Or you can provide links to cloud storage. You will probably get more attention if the pictures are out in the open.

If you decide to do that I would recommend posting pictures before work gets covered up with other work.
Lisa,
I am new and would like to start a thread. How do I post pics?

Lisa,
I am new and would like to start a thread. How do I post pics?
welvome

The easy way to up load is become a forum supporting Sawhorse!!

Otherwise make the picture a link and post the link or a Flickr or Method