• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New & Old need different colors

brudgers

Platinum Member
Using similar colors for the icon makes it hard to quickly scan the list because you have to read it.

I can see the purpose behind educating the new members, but it's not really productive for me because I tend to use my scroll wheel to see where there is activity.

I can pick out the colors as the page scrolls by, but the new and old look about the same at speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The darker blue color ones that say "new" which means there is a new post in that category.

The white ones that say "old" are categories that have no posts in them since your last visit.

This is for those of you that need it. ;)

The puffy clouds on the left side of the columns are a great guide; I just saw a post by Conarb (RFS adoption) in Residential Fire Codes; posted 1 hour ago and, it is designated as OLD.

I just rechecked this post; posted 15 minutes ago; and it's puffy cloud labels it OLD.

The best quality of a good forum; is that it is easy to navigate. But, I'm just :banghd

Uncle Bob

brudgers said:
Using similar colors for the icon makes it hard to quickly scan the list because you have to read it.I can see the purpose behind educating the new members, but it's not really productive for me because I tend to use my scroll wheel to see where there is activity.

I can pick out the colors as the page scrolls by, but the new and old look about the same at speed.
Or you can go to the what's new button

Mark Handler,

said " Or you can go to the what's new button "

I just clicked on the "What's New" button; and the this topic was the only one that is listed; and I know there are others that were posted today; like Conarbs that was post just over an hour ago.

The results do not agree with the theory. I don't believe that there is the possibility of reality being considered. Just go head first making the site more difficult to navigate; ignore the problem, as just a discontent; and to hell with the results.

Yes, you will increase membership with this new google deal; but, they won't stay; and it is those that stay that make it work.

Uncle Bob

jar546 said:
UB, read this and you will understand. You also need to learn how to quote people. You are doing that wrong.http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/370065-What-exactly-is-quot-What-s-New-quot?highlight=recent+posts
Geezzz, , I thought I got it before I read that . . . UB, I think the "new" and "old" refer to whether YOU have read it before (OLD) or if YOU haven't read it "NEW". . . so you read Conarbs, and uhhh, , you read yours when you wrote it. I hope.

Jeff,

You wrote;

" read this and you will understand. You also need to learn how to quote people. You are doing that wrong."

Thanks for the advise; but, I have a better idea.

Best wishes to you and your site,

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
The puffy clouds on the left side of the columns are a great guide; I just saw a post by Conarb (RFS adoption) in Residential Fire Codes; posted 1 hour ago and, it is designated as OLD.I just rechecked this post; posted 15 minutes ago; and it's puffy cloud labels it OLD.

The best quality of a good forum; is that it is easy to navigate. But, I'm just :banghd

Uncle Bob
New versus old is relative to your session.

If your browser session is reset, then only posts since the last time you visited will be new.

On the other hand if you don't visit for a week, everything since your last visit will be new.

What the hell happened to your avatar?

UB,

I provided you with a link directly from Vbulletin that explains how the What's New button works. Many people have tried to explain to you sessions, cookies, visits, etc.

There is a method to quoting people so that we know exactly what is quoted and what is not. It is in the post above this one and I am stating that you are doing that wrong. It would help if you could do that.

Just cool your jets for a bit and come back an visit us later.

Jeff,

" Just cool your jets for a bit and come back an visit us later. "

Don't hold your breath!

You can take your privately owned forum and shove it!

Bob

Uncle Bob said:
Jeff," Just cool your jets for a bit and come back an visit us later. "

Don't hold your breath!

You forgot the part about shoving it where the sun doesn't shine. Love you too buddy.

You can take your privately owned forum and shove it!

Bob
You forgot about the part, shoving it where the sun does not shine. :)

UB, really?

After the past year and a half, you are going to jump out because of some changes you didn't like?

Really?

Really?

I just don't think it is really worth getting that riled up about........but that's JMHO.

Hope you reconsider........

I find the site to work as usual. I think the "New"/"Old" icons installed to satisfy the request of another user are being misinterpreted.

I have had all threads reset to old under the following condition: visit site, begin reading new threads; get interrupted; come back later and only threads shown as new are the ones updated since my last (interrupted) visit. However, that is the way it is supposed to work.

In that case, you can do posts updated in the last 24 hours, which will at least give you all of the posts in that time period.

In fairness to Jeff, I don't see what reference to "privately owned" has to do with the subject at hand. Is there a publically owned forum somewhere?

Seems Jeff tried to appease one user and disgruntled another. it also seems like it has less to do with the forum and more with an inter-personal issue.

This forum works like every other forum on the net.

Take this board and shove it,

I ain't posting here no more.

My threads done left and took all the posts I was looking for.

Ya better not try to get me to play,

Cause I'm signing off this board,

brudgers said:
Take this board and shove it,I ain't posting here no more.

My threads done left and took all the posts I was looking for.

Ya better not try to get me to play,

Cause I'm signing off this board,

.........and enter upright base solo.......