• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New one for me

JPohling

Sawhorse
I am sure there are others, but this is a first for me. Doing some work in Sonoma, CA and they have amended the code to require all non sprinkled commercial buildings be fire sprinkled if the permit valuation is over 150,000 over a 3 year period.

We have a stand alone 3,200 SF Type VB building separated on all sides, so the allowable area is somewhere in the 16,000 SF range. Our construction valuation for the 2,900 SF of remodel will be in the 200K range. The sprinkler system installation I am guessing will be in the 40K range.

There is no financial hardship threshold, review, or possibility. Seems crazy but it is what it is. What other jurisdictions have done this?

Sounds like a local amendment intended to be more restrictive than CA code. This is allowable, but you could check and make sure they followed the proper procedure and approved the local amendment with the CBSC. If they did not, then it's not valid.

Listening to my contractors complain about how hard it is to build in MA, it is not, compared to the Left Coast is one of my daily joys

Sounds like a local amendment intended to be more restrictive than CA code. This is allowable, but you could check and make sure the followed the proper procedure and approved the local amendment with the CBSC. If they did not, then it's not valid.
Joe, it is filed properly and in the system.

I first started seeing these amendments requiring mandatory sprinkler retrofits in the beach communities in Southern California, where summertime traffic jams make it difficult for fire trucks to meet reasonable response times.
Not long after, many other communities started adopting the requirement as well. From what I've heard (strictly anecdotal, maybe someone here can verify) NFPA 1710 recommends a maximum 5 minute response time from the first 911 call until the fire department arrives on-scene, but they allow additional time if the municipality enacts a mandatory fire sprinkler ordinance. Additional response time allows for a larger service radius from each fire station, so a municipality with multiple stations may be able to shut down now-redundant stations and save on pension costs, etc.
I think NFPA 1710 is voluntary, but it does inform insurance rates in a given area.

For another example, here's the mandatory sprinkler amendment from the City of Pasadena:

1647292723807.png

I am sure there are others, but this is a first for me. Doing some work in Sonoma, CA and they have amended the code to require all non sprinkled commercial buildings be fire sprinkled if the permit valuation is over 150,000 over a 3 year period.

We have a stand alone 3,200 SF Type VB building separated on all sides, so the allowable area is somewhere in the 16,000 SF range. Our construction valuation for the 2,900 SF of remodel will be in the 200K range. The sprinkler system installation I am guessing will be in the 40K range.

There is no financial hardship threshold, review, or possibility. Seems crazy but it is what it is. What other jurisdictions have done this?

This is nuts. Check out the details of this. It may not include the cost of everything you are doing like electrical, mechanical, accessibility, landscaping, paving, upgrading for seismic, etc.

I first started seeing these amendments requiring mandatory sprinkler retrofits in the beach communities in Southern California, where summertime traffic jams make it difficult for fire trucks to meet reasonable response times.
Not long after, many other communities started adopting the requirement as well. From what I've heard (strictly anecdotal, maybe someone here can verify) NFPA 1710 recommends a maximum 5 minute response time from the first 911 call until the fire department arrives on-scene, but they allow additional time if the municipality enacts a mandatory fire sprinkler ordinance. Additional response time allows for a larger service radius from each fire station, so a municipality with multiple stations may be able to shut down now-redundant stations and save on pension costs, etc.
I think NFPA 1710 is voluntary, but it does inform insurance rates in a given area.

For another example, here's the mandatory sprinkler amendment from the City of Pasadena:

View attachment 8713
Yikes, thanks for the Pasadena info. They are significantly more lenient with the alterations needing to be more than 50% of the value of the structure. Sonoma is 150K in improvements over a 3 year period. The good news is the property owners are aware and the leases are written that the owner will pay to bring the building up to code. so it is on the owner's dime.