• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Shell Building, Tenant Upfit..... Fall under IEBC?

Question That

Newly constructed multi storey shell building. Tenant will be hiring architect and engineers to build a mezzanine level into the existing building and upfit the space for their purposes.
Would this type of construction fall under the IEBC? If so, since space is not over 50% of the area of the entire building then I'm thinking a level 2 alteration? I've generally only dealt with IEBC on renovation type work in older spaces so having a little trouble getting my head wrapped around what a new project like this falls under.

Exactly why we don't issue a CO for shells.....

That and if you changed a code cycle and added equipment you would have to redo all of the insulation and windows and whatever else...

C505.1 General. Spaces undergoing a change in occupancy
that would result in an increase in demand for either fossil
fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code.
Where
the use in a space changes from one use in Table C405.3.2(1)
or C405.3.2(2) to another use in Table C405.3.2(1) or
C405.3.2(2), the installed lighting wattage shall comply with
Section C405.3. Where the space undergoing a change in
occupancy or use is in a building with a fenestration area that
exceeds the limitations of Section C402.4.1, the space is
exempt from Section C402.4.1 provided that there is not an
increase in fenestration area.

They could put a use and occupancy on a shell.....Which we kind of need for H&A and sprinklers and other stuff, but we find ways to work around it, usually they have at least one tenant in mind and we don't get a lot of pure "spec" builds.....

They could put a use and occupancy on a shell.....Which we kind of need for H&A and sprinklers and other stuff, but we find ways to work around it, usually they have at least one tenant in mind and we don't get a lot of pure "spec" builds.....
Thanks everyone. All the responses together give me what I need. Much appreciated.

I've seen it where they CO with "SHELL ONLY" or a Cert. Of Completion/Use. Then all the TI's are considered NEW and get their own CO's

COA is how we do it.....

(Add) 111.6 Certificate of approval. The building official shall issue a certificate of approval indicating
substantial compliance with the requirements of this code for all completed work that requires a building
permit but does not require a certificate of occupancy. Such work shall include, but not be limited to: fences
greater than 7 feet (2134 mm) in height; retaining walls greater than 3 feet (914 mm) in height; decks;
garages; swimming pools; basements and attics converted to habitable space; electrical, plumbing, and
mechanical repairs or alterations. No certificate of approval shall be issued for work subject to the zoning
regulations of a municipality without certification in writing by the official charged with the enforcement
of such regulations that the work is in conformity with such regulations or is a valid nonconforming use
under such regulations.

Shell gets a Certificate of completion.

Maybe it then goes to a vanilla box, insulated sheetrocked.

CO for the completed tenant finish.