• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Texas law meant to help building permit backlog set up for failure, Dallas councilman says

Yep...tried it here in CT too....Now I get to be part of a permit timeliness task force to hopefully avoid giant mistakes....Or get the Towns to give up the money...

45 days is a long time. But, I didn't hear what that 45 days was referring to. 45 days for the entire approval process would be a miracle around here, but maybe excessive for just the building process part. Does the 45 days include the time the applicant takes to resubmit due to crap plans? Does it include the revisions they make once they get review comments that then create entire new review issues, send it back to planning, or fire, or storm-water? Or is it 45 days from building code review submittal to 1st review comments? Everywhere I have worked, building code review is the quickest part, but gets blamed for all the delays.

Are we all dealing with the "concurrent review" problems or is it just me?

Agree the third party review and inspection is a problem, especially if the "regulator" is being paid by the applicants and without strict standards and accountability.

Here in San Diego they have started something new. Attached is the Information bulletin from the city. 85% of our TI's would not be eligible due to plumbing additions or modifications. The water department collects fees for the plumbing fixture units and sewer charges. Until they can get that streamlined they are missing a lot of possible expedited permits

Attachments

• Information Bulletin 150.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 9
Here in San Diego they have started something new. Attached is the Information bulletin from the city. 85% of our TI's would not be eligible due to plumbing additions or modifications. The water department collects fees for the plumbing fixture units and sewer charges. Until they can get that streamlined they are missing a lot of possible expedited permits
Intriguing. I need to read it in more detail.

I like Florida's SFR required review times for both the city and applicant's responses.

(16) Except as provided in paragraph (e), a building permit for a single-family residential dwelling must be issued within 30 business days after receiving the permit application unless the permit application fails to satisfy the Florida Building Code or the enforcing agency’s laws or ordinances.

(a) If a local enforcement agency fails to issue a building permit for a single-family residential dwelling within 30 business days after receiving the permit application, it must reduce the building permit fee by 10 percent for each business day that it fails to meet the deadline. Each 10-percent reduction shall be based on the original amount of the building permit fee.

(b) A local enforcement agency does not have to reduce the building permit fee if it provides written notice to the applicant, by e-mail or United States Postal Service, within 30 business days after receiving the permit application, that specifically states the reasons the permit application fails to satisfy the Florida Building Code or the enforcing agency’s laws or ordinances. The written notice must also state that the applicant has 10 business days after receiving the written notice to submit revisions to correct the permit application and that failure to correct the application within 10 business days will result in a denial of the application.

(b) A local enforcement agency does not have to reduce the building permit fee if it provides written notice to the applicant, by e-mail or United States Postal Service, within 30 business days after receiving the permit application, that specifically states the reasons the permit application fails to satisfy the Florida Building Code or the enforcing agency’s laws or ordinances. The written notice must also state that the applicant has 10 business days after receiving the written notice to submit revisions to correct the permit application and that failure to correct the application within 10 business days will result in a denial of the application.
I have never gotten a designer to respond in 10 days....We have a 30 day law without the 10%....

Nothing new, Here in CA we have The Permit Streamlining Act, California Government Code § 65920 et seq, was enacted in 1977 in order to expedite the processing of permits for development projects by imposing time limits within which state and local government agencies must either approve or disapprove permits.