• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

new to the forum

Ryan D

GREENHORN
First id like to thank you all for this great forum. The knowledge so freely given does not go unappreciated, thank you all so much for this site.
Id like to tell you all a bit about myself and possibly get some feedback. Iv been a tattoo artist for 15 years and have made a great living (financially speaking) owning my own shop. Im 36 years old now and over the coarse of my career I have experienced a lot of personal growth. I mention this because it is this growth thats pulling me away from my current career in an unhealthy environment to a new career as a Building Inspector.
Its my understanding that a Building Inspector is always learning, and seeing new things (good and bad). Also interacting with various personalities while maintaining diplomacy seems challenging yet rewarding. I do not want a tedious job and from what I hear, an inspectors day in day out duties are not tedious. The security of working for the city is appealing, retirement, benefits and a 8 to 5 schedule would be great for me and my family. Id be curious to know how the private sector compares with working for the city, pay and schedule wise.
Choosing a career as a Building Inspector may come as a surprise to some of the folks I know, being that iv never held a job in the field of construction. Thats right, as green as they come. Household repairs and minor renovations is all I'm working with. I do have the drive to learn, which brings me to this site.
I have spent the last month or so studying the IRC to take my residential plumbing inspectors license. After this exam I will schedule my exam for the commercial plumbing inspectors certificate (iv been studying the IPC for this cert). I have a Back-flow class in late august on the books as well.. Also I have been pestering two building officials for an internship, offering to work for free of coarse. Both of these gentlemen are waiting to hear back from HR about the possibility of an internship. If all goes well I should have the 500 hours required to take my Texas state plumbing inspectors test by late fall.
So thats where I'm at. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks again

Welcome Ryan! What state are you in? Ahhhh...Texas I see...Typically the pay is far less than the private sector, but you may get some decent benefits. Around here, pensions are pretty much a thing of the past and the health benefits get worse every year. It certainly is something different every day here. It may get boring if you end up in just a bedroom community (deck, shed, pool, new home) but if you get into a town with a good mix of residential and commercial it can be very interesting...

Welcome to the Forum! Plenty of info here, and help if you ask.

If you want a bang for your buck, come to Denver, Colorado next March. Usually the first week in March, we put on our Educational Institute, 65 classes in 13 different course paths, including plumbing. This past year, link to brochure below, you could go to a full day class each day, for the entire week, for $325, or daily for $75, including lunch. And, most classes are preferred provider to the ICC. Best money for training you can spend. Typically each year we have about 1800 attendees.

http://www.coloradochaptericc.org/pages/files/2016 Ed Institute/Electronic Brochure.pdf

Good luck in your new future!

fatboy said: Welcome to the Forum! Plenty of info here, and help if you ask.

If you want a bang for your buck, come to Denver, Colorado next March. Usually the first week in March, we put on our Educational Institute, 65 classes in 13 different course paths, including plumbing. This past year, link to brochure below, you could go to a full day class each day, for the entire week, for $325, or daily for $75, including lunch. And, most classes are preferred provider to the ICC. Best money for training you can spend. Typically each year we have about 1800 attendees.
http://www.coloradochaptericc.org/pages/files/2016 Ed Institute/Electronic Brochure.pdf
Good luck in your new future!

That is a fabulous deal

Back