• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA 221 Fire Walls

ron

The 2006 IBC doesn't reference the NFPA 221 so does that mean you can't quote a code section on Fire walls ? Their is a big difference in the NFPA 221 and the IBC on building with different roof elevations at a 3hr wall.

Unless you have a more restrictive local law or local adoption of nfpa 221, yes, you can not apply 221 unless it's referenced in the building code.

We have a local law that adopts the latest edition of all nfpa codes excet nfpa 1 and 5000.

Just my humble opinion, but I believe you should also exclude NFPA 101 the Life Safety Code except for health care occupancies, since they have to follow 101 anyway for CMS and Joint Commision. There are way to many conflicts between IBC and NFPA 101 for them to be adopted together.

by performance based or alternative design????? you cannot bring in nfpa 221????

Coug Dad: I believe you should also exclude NFPA 101 the Life Safety Code except for health care occupancies, since they have to follow 101 anyway for CMS and Joint Commision. There are way to many conflicts between IBC and NFPA 101 for them to be adopted together.
I've been wondering about this. Health care facilities follow the requirements of NFPA 101 because of the Joint Commission and CMS. Does this mean that if a new health care facility is built in a jurisdiction that doesn't use 101 and whose building code is based on the IBC, the requirements of the IBC don't apply?

There were code change proposals in this last cycle to incorporate the NFPA 221 fire wall provisions - one by reference and the other by including the provisions in the code. Both failed but the final decision won't be made until the end of May sicne there are challenges. The one that woudl have incorporated it by refernce was failed because the committee memebrs were afraid that the Life Safety Code would get into the IBC by a back-door referrence. The other failed because it did not include the structural provisions that were included in NFPA 221.

We've submitted for approval using the 221 design system. I've seen the 221 fire wall provisions used as equivilant means and methods usually (alternative design) - never by performance.

LGreene

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Both the IBC and NFPA would apply and you would have to utilize the more restrictive solution for each issue. This leads to significant extra costs (which gets included in your health care bill) and redundancy.

LGreene said:
I've been wondering about this. Health care facilities follow the requirements of NFPA 101 because of the Joint Commission and CMS. Does this mean that if a new health care facility is built in a jurisdiction that doesn't use 101 and whose building code is based on the IBC, the requirements of the IBC don't apply?
No. You still have to meet the IBC because it's legally adopted. AND, you still have to meet 101 because the Joint Commission requries it for federal funding.

Thanks Gene and Coug Dad. That's what I thought but many of the hospitals that I work with only know/care about 101, and there are some door-related conflicts between the two. It's great to have you guys to confirm stuff (or set me straight)! :)