• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA 409 "Clear Space" for Hangars

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
Does anyone have a definition for "clear space" (table 8.2.1 clear space for single hangar buildings). Is this to lot lines, lease lines, or other buildings, or all of the above?

Thanks in advance.

The intent is the same as in IBC (2006) Section 507. The 60 feet provides operational space for the fire department and to keep a fire from spreading to adjacent structures. In a large industrial campus, you can combine several "buildings" to create the unlimited area building and then separate that by 60 feet.

Thanks Coug Dad. It comes down to whether or not the 50 ft clear space is from adjacent structures, or to lot or lease lines. If it is to a lease or lot line, then they would need 100 ft between individual hangars if the clear space is required to be 50 ft. This sounds like alot of space. The building code gives a specific method for determining fire separation distance, but the NFPA does not, at least what I have found.

What this comes down to is creating a situation on a leased area with other leasable areas on each side of the hangar. If the hangar is placed 30 ft from their lease line, then anyone submitting a building on the adjacent lot would not be able to build within 20 ft of their lease line. This may make their lot unbuildable. The open yard provision in 507 must be within their own lot. In the case of our airport, it is all one parcel, but they lease out lots to the prospective tenants. I suppose the airport manager can inform tenants how far their building must be from an adjacent hangar, and if that won't work they will need to pick a lot that will. However, I believe we need to look for this clear space within their own lot, whether it be a parcel line or a lease line. There are some existing conditions I am having to deal with...fun. Thanks again.

Airports I have worked at set the criteria for their tenant hangars. The land leases specify the separation distances.

Thanks Coug Dad. I'll be setting up a meeting with the airport manager to see how they have been doing things.