• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA 80 and field labeling

bill1952

SAWHORSE
NFPA 80 Fire Doors and Windows Standard has had guidelines for permitting field labeling of doors for several cycles. Label gets removed, painted, damaged or a minor modification, and it was possible to get it relabeled by a qualified person. The requirements are limited and not at all easy or lax.

This cycle there is an significant effort to delete these requirements, effectively not allowing field labeling. It will still happen IMHO, but no guidelines or back up.

I'm inclined to oppose the deletion. Curious if any ahj or building official here has an opinion and their reasoning. I expect it will be the main event in final day of committee meeting Thursday.

What do you mean by "This cycle"? Is deleting the requirements for field labeling a code change proposal for the next edition of NFPA 80? When is that due out?

Relabeling has been allowed ever since I can remember, dating back to the early or mid-1970s. It would be silly to remove it now.

What do you mean by "This cycle"? Is deleting the requirements for field labeling a code change proposal for the next edition of NFPA 80? When is that due out?

Relabeling has been allowed ever since I can remember, dating back to the early or mid-1970s. It would be silly to remove it now.
Deleting the requirements for field labeling was approved in the first revision for the 2025 edition, and the comment to not delete it failed in the second revision committee meeting vote so as it stands now, the requirements are deleted. There is of course a chance it will come back in the written ballot or as a nitmam or on appeal, probably a better chance then most items that go that route.

FWIW, I am opposed to the deletion, and intend to vote against it - in favor of retaining the requirements - in the written ballot.

If not reinstated, I expect the practice will continue, but without the requirements of NFPA 80.

You can find the record at NFPA.com. I can post it here - just ask - but not this week.