• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFRC 100 Certification

RLGA

SAWHORSE
I'm interested in finding out how other jurisdictions handle the requirement for NFRC 100 certification for fenestration per the IECC.

In the 2012 IECC, Section C303.1.3 requires that U-factors of fenestration products be determined in accordance with NFRC 100 by an accredited, independent laboratory and certified and labeled by the manufacturer. If products are not certified and labeled, then the default values in Tables C303.1.3(1) and (2) must be used.

NFRC 100 certification is fine for unit assemblies (e.g. a complete factory-fabricated and factory-glazed unit), but the problem with the requirement above is that field-fabricated systems, such as curtain walls and storefronts, cannot be tested per NFRC 100, because each installation is unique and must be analyzed using the Component Modeling Approach (CMA) by NFRC. The IECC does not recognize CMA specifically, so I'm asking the questions:
  1. Does your jurisdiction accept CMA as an alternative to NFRC 100 certification?
  2. Do they even care or ask about NFRC 100 certification?
Thanks!

I'm interested in finding out how other jurisdictions handle the requirement for NFRC 100 certification for fenestration per the IECC.

In the 2012 IECC, Section C303.1.3 requires that U-factors of fenestration products be determined in accordance with NFRC 100 by an accredited, independent laboratory and certified and labeled by the manufacturer. If products are not certified and labeled, then the default values in Tables C303.1.3(1) and (2) must be used.

NFRC 100 certification is fine for unit assemblies (e.g. a complete factory-fabricated and factory-glazed unit), but the problem with the requirement above is that field-fabricated systems, such as curtain walls and storefronts, cannot be tested per NFRC 100, because each installation is unique and must be analyzed using the Component Modeling Approach (CMA) by NFRC. The IECC does not recognize CMA specifically, so I'm asking the questions:
  1. Does your jurisdiction accept CMA as an alternative to NFRC 100 certification?
  2. Do they even care or ask about NFRC 100 certification?
Thanks!

Oh boy, here we go. We struggle with this on a regular basis. There is the code and there is reality. I travel this road way too often and always cause a ruckus. First let me answer your questions: 1) Never had it submitted and don't know enough about it. 2) Yes, always.

The problem is certainly when the components are put together on-site or fabricated at a facility that does not get assembly rating from the NFRC. I get data about the glazing and data about the frames but never data for the assembly. In the end, the RDP has their work cut out for them because we make them recalculate the COMCHECK using the default values. More often than not, this is a pretty big battle and causes problems. For homes, this is essentially a non-issue except for locally manufactured windows that also don't get NFRC ratings.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences with this issue. OK, looks like we are going to have to have a meeting about this tomorrow because my button was just pushed again on this subject.... thanks.

Reactions: SAT
Currently adopted the 2009 IECC and it has similar requirements as quoted.

Does your jurisdiction accept CMA as an alternative to NFRC 100 certification?
2009 IECC Section 101.5.1 and Section 101.3 provide us the path to evaluate and accept CMA as an alternative. If asked and the applicant provides documentation and sufficient information that shows that they meet the intent of the code. NFRC Component Modeling Approach (CMA) Software Tool (CMAST) may help provide the information needed, never had it submitted to know.​

Do they even care or ask about NFRC 100 certification?
We care….

As Jar546 stated most common option utilized to show compliance is default values Table 303.1.3(1) and Table 303.1.3(3)​