• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NM and pools in SFR

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Circuits for exterior pool motors must have an insulated ground.

NM is allowed in the interior of a dwelling unit for the above circuit.

Does your jurisdiction require an OCPD where the transition is from NM on the inside to pipe/THWN on the exterior so that the "branch circuit" has the insulated ground?

Do you allow any type of disconnect other than an OCPD for this transition on exterior pools for SFRs.

We do not require anything special, other than a junction box to make the transition. As long as the portion of the branch circuit that is not interior complies with 680.21(A)(1), the portion that is interior can comply with (4).

I agree. The branch circuit wiring method can be changed at any point along the circuit as long as proper fittings and/or boxes are used. No additional disconnecting means required.

Thinking further about your question, I think what you are asking is, do we need to place an OCPD at the transition, so that the branch circuit starts there, thus the entire branch circuit complies with 680.21(A)(1). The problem with that approach is that, the interior portion before the OCPD now becomes a feeder rather than a branch circuit and is no longer governed by 680.21. It would be governed by 680.25 which does not allow NM cable.

For me, this just reinforces my interpretation that as long as the exterior portion of the branch circuit complies with 680.21(A)(1), the interior portion can comply with (4) and nothing more is needed at the transition than a junction box.

I agree with both Eprice and Bryan.

You can transition from NM cable to another wiring method at the point where it leaves the dwelling with a junction box an approved fittings and do not need to have an OCPD at the transition point.

Chris

Thanks. The way I have interpreted and enforced is the same as EPrice and Bryan. Recently I inspected an AG pool installation where they transitioned into conduit by installing a OCPD enclosure with 2 breakers since they had 2 circuits. They installer was not around to ask why so I was wondering if he thought that he had to do it. None of the installations done this year or even last year were done like that.

The language brings me to the same conclusion whether the IRC or the NEC is applied.