• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NM cable in acoustical ceilings

Woodrow

SAWHORSE
I understand what NEC 334.12 says, but if I have a wood framed roof with a dropped acoustical ceiling, why would I not be allowed to run NM cable?

Well, don't know particulars, but #2 is pretty clear.........

(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

Is it a one or two-family dwelling?

No its a laundry mat that burnt. They removed the drop ceiling to replace and realized it has NM cable.
Then no good. It has not been allowed for decades. If any of this area is a plenum space then that makes it even worse. The bottom line is that it is not allowed, mostly because NM cable was specifically made very cheap to reduce the cost of wiring a residential home and really has no place in commercial work.

In the real world it isn't a problem if it's not a plenum space.

But code says no, so I say no...

If it's not a plenum space and the wire is existing and in good condition, I wouldn't make you tear it out.
mostly because NM cable was specifically made very cheap to reduce the cost of wiring a residential home and really has no place in commercial work.
This seems harsh. NM cable is really a pretty good wiring method, all things considered.