• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No code sections please.

ICE

Oh Well
What looks like a row of flat blocks between the floor joists is actually the top of a 4"x6" block. These were installed at every mud sill. I couldn't see any anchor bolts. So I had them remove a few blocks and found that they bored an 1 3/8" diameter hole for a 5/8" anchor bolt. There are close to 100. All of the sill is 3X.

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out today that there are closer to 200. Their engineer suggested running nuts to the concrete and stacking them to the height of the 3" sill to fill the void. This was after he came to the site and saw what I saw. I thought that was nuts. Then their engineer suggested a rectangular plate with 4 SDS screws. It is a Simpson product for this purpose. It looks like it might work but the braced walls have some large loads. I think their engineer is brand new out of the box. I told them to see our engineer.

The Simpson BPS with 4 screws will counter lateral loads when the holes are overbored.

However, it is up to the engineer to determine what the required shear capacity is and what the 4 screws will provide.

Too bad somebody doesn't design and list some sort of epoxy you could fill the hole with. I hope I didn't just give away a 1M dollar idea :)

TimNY said:
The Simpson BPS with 4 screws will counter lateral loads when the holes are overbored.However, it is up to the engineer to determine what the required shear capacity is and what the 4 screws will provide.

Too bad somebody doesn't design and list some sort of epoxy you could fill the hole with. I hope I didn't just give away a 1M dollar idea :)
The epoxy is already available. It is used to repair split beams and such. The BPS is good for 1000#. I would have preferred the epoxy but their engineer chose the BPS. The epoxy would have been a faster fix considering the 4"x6" blocks that will have to be reworked but like I said earlier, the engineer is new at this and may not know about the epoxy. {That's a stupid remark because I am old at this and I didn't know about the epoxy either.}

ICE, if you happen to remember what that epoxy is called, let me know. Never knew it existed.. always learning!

TimNY said:
ICE, if you happen to remember what that epoxy is called, let me know. Never knew it existed.. always learning!
I didn't know about it either until I brought the problem to my office manager. He is a a structural engineer and that was his first suggestion. I will have to ask him on Tuesday and I'll let you know.