• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No doors on restrooms for rated corridor

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
2-A construstion, E use, 3 stories, not sprinklered (divied up in fre areas). Corridor is required and shown on plans one hour walls per 2009 IBC 1018.1. But they don't have any closing doors for the restrooms that lead into the corridor (just open doorways). Can they do that?

does the rating carry through the bathrooms? Would you consider a large open are connected to the corridor that met the rating a problem?

My concern in that particular situation would be kids starting the trash cans, TP, and PT dispensers on fire and filling the corridors immediately with smoke....

And no offense BB, but, in the old days, lead and asbestos and PCB's were a good idea too....And in the new days PVC....

Fire rated doors not required per footnotes to table 714.2

Last edited by a moderator:
steveray said:
My concern in that particular situation would be kids starting the trash cans, TP, and PT dispensers on fire and filling the corridors immediately with smoke....And no offense BB, but, in the old days, lead and asbestos and PCB's were a good idea too....And in the new days PVC....
""""My concern in that particular situation would be kids starting the trash cans, TP, and PT dispensers on fire and filling the corridors immediately with smoke...""""

YEP

mark handler said:
Code Book.I've actually read it….
2009 ibc

SECTION 705 EXTERIOR WALLS

705.1 General. Exterior walls shall comply with this section.

SECTION 705 EXTERIOR WALLS

705.1 General.

Exterior walls shall comply with this section.

cda said:
2009 ibc SECTION 705 EXTERIOR WALLS 705.1 General. Exterior walls shall comply with this section.

2012 SECTION 705 EXTERIOR WALLS

705.1 General. Exterior walls shall comply with this section.
Typo see footnotes of

TABLE 714.2 OPENING PROTECTIVE FIRE-PROTECTION RATINGS

a. For testing requirements, see Section 714.2.3.

b. Two doors, each with a fire-protection rating of 1.5 hours, installed on opposite sides of the same opening in a fire wall, shall be deemed equivalent in fire-protection rating to one 3-hour fire door.

c. Fire-rated bathroom/restroom doors are not required when opening onto fire-rated halls, corridors, exit access provided:

(1) no other rooms open off of the bathroom/restroom, and

(2) no gas or electric appliances other than electric hand dryers are located in the bathroom/restroom, and

(3) the walls, partitions, floor and ceiling of the bathroom/restroom have a fire rating at least equal to the rating of the hall, corridor or exit access, and

(4) the bathroom/restroom is not used for any other purpose than it is designed.

Read the code don't memorize the numbers

mark handler said:
Typo see footnotes ofTABLE 714.2 OPENING PROTECTIVE FIRE-PROTECTION RATINGS

a. For testing requirements, see Section 714.2.3.

b. Two doors, each with a fire-protection rating of 1.5 hours, installed on opposite sides of the same opening in a fire wall, shall be deemed equivalent in fire-protection rating to one 3-hour fire door.

c. Fire-rated bathroom/restroom doors are not required when opening onto fire-rated halls, corridors, exit access provided:

(1) no other rooms open off of the bathroom/restroom, and

(2) no gas or electric appliances other than electric hand dryers are located in the bathroom/restroom, and

(3) the walls, partitions, floor and ceiling of the bathroom/restroom have a fire rating at least equal to the rating of the hall, corridor or exit access, and

(4) the bathroom/restroom is not used for any other purpose than it is designed.

Read the code don't memorize the numbers
Ok I give up

What year edition??

What state edition?? Or plain jane IBC??

& = &

"But they don't have any closing doors for the restrooms that lead into the corridor(just open doorways). Can they do that?"
Yes they can !........See Section 1023.3 in the `12 IBC........Thecorridors must be constructed in accordance with Section

707 or 711 or both [ also in the `12 IBC ].

The open restroom would then become part of the fire area

[ travel distances, ...MOE requirements, etc. ].

& = &

north star said:
& = &

Yes they can !........See Section 1023.3 in the `12 IBC........The

corridors must be constructed in accordance with Section

707 or 711 or both [ also in the `12 IBC ].

The open restroom would then become part of the fire area

[ travel distances, ...MOE requirements, etc. ].

& = &
No

Exit passageway

& = &

My mistake **cda**.......Wrong code section.........Section 1018 is

for Corridors......Since Rick' application is not sprinkled, ...the walls,

ceilings & floors would need be to be at least 1 hr. rated.

& = &

Can a restroom be considered as part of a rated corridor enclosure?

2012 Section 1020.1 an exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. If restrooms are considered part of the corridor enclosure would they interfere with its function? I do not think so unless they violate Section 1018.

You got me a mixed up. This is what my 2009 IBC says:

714.2 Installation. Fire-resistant joint systems shall be securely installed in or on the joint for its entire length so as not to dislodge, loosen or otherwise impair its ability to accommodate expected building movements and to resist the passage of fire and hot gases.

or do you mean table 715.4. my code book doesn't have the same footnotes:

a. Two doors, each with a fire protection rating of 11/2 hours, installed on opposite sides of the same opening in a fire wall, shall be deemed equivalent in fire protection rating to one 3-hour fire door.

b. For testing requirements, see Section 715.4.3.

A corridor is exit access...not an exit....

SAT said:
Can a restroom be considered as part of a rated corridor enclosure? 2012 Section 1020.1 an exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. If restrooms are considered part of the corridor enclosure would they interfere with its function? I do not think so unless they violate Section 1018.

& ` ` ` &

If I were to receive a design whereas restrooms were located off of a corridor

without doors, ...it would be my interpretation that all vertical & horizontal

components of the restroom would have to match the rating of the corridor

to which they would be directly associated with........I believe that Table

1018.1 [ in the `12 IBC ] provides the code guidance to allow for this design.

Also, I would not consider restrooms to be intervening spaces either [ RE:

Section 1018.6 - Corridor continuity ].

FWIW, ...if doors were included for the restrooms, then they too would

have to match the rating of the corridor. :cool:

( ~ ~ ~ )

they could run the rating around the restrooms and use non rated push/pull doors if they wanted some privacy doors

steveray said:
A corridor is exit access...not an exit....
I agree they can be part of exit access but can also be part of an exit. This is a rated corridor so I am thinking exit…

Exit – portion of an exit route that is generally separated from other areas to provide a protected way of travel to the exit discharge.