• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No Power

ICE

Oh Well
I worked a day in a city. The inspection was for a service panel upgrade and solar. There were a few corrections on the panel..One of which was "The water main shall serve as a grounding electrode with the connection within five feet of where it enters the building. The contractor was acting like I was being unreasonable....asking for my business card so that he could know whom he was complaining about. And just not happy.

Then he asked me when I would release Edison to energize the panel. I told him that after he does the corrections, the city will send an inspector and after it passes inspection, Edison will be notified. He replied with, "So you're going to leave the customer with no power?"
I told him to "figure it out."

Next was the solar contractor. He tried to hand me the job card for a signature. Sorry about that but I don't have any business cards.

Whenever I am sent to a city for a day or a week, the city BO loads me up with service panels and solar. That day I had ten and five other type. Of the ten that were ready for an inspection only this job had the service de-energized. Most every electrician will land the laterals while waiting to pass an inspection and then waiting for Edison. I am not aware of Edison ever having a problem with that. It's the same scenario with overhead Edison drops.....Nobody goes without power.

So when the electrician plays dumb and asks me what he should do about his customer....I play dumb right back at him...it's dumb and dumber trying to earn a day's pay.

The dilemma that I face is not knowing what the local inspectors have been allowing. There was a job in a different city that had more than a few corrections and Edison showed up before I left. I watched Edison energize the panel. Another city lets Edison have the release and figures to get the corrections completed at a final inspection.

IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

I assume that the concept of not energizing until inspection is passed is entirely Edison's policy, either for their own safety, or as a courtesy to the building department to incentivize the property owner to comply with codes.
remains in full control of the "means, sequences, and procedures" for their project.

I do occasionally find "chicken-vs-egg" scenarios where power is needed to test life-safety systems (fire alarms, garage exhaust systems), in order to get the building card finaled, in order to get Edison to energize a site, in order to power the fire/life safety systems. If the project is big enough, the electrician may provide a generator during the testing.

I assume that the concept of not energizing until inspection is passed is entirely Edison's policy, either for their own safety, or as a courtesy to the building department to incentivize the property owner to comply with codes.
remains in full control of the "means, sequences, and procedures" for their project.

I do occasionally find "chicken-vs-egg" scenarios where power is needed to test life-safety systems (fire alarms, garage exhaust systems), in order to get the building card finaled, in order to get Edison to energize a site, in order to power the fire/life safety systems. If the project is big enough, the electrician may provide a generator during the testing.
I should have clarified that this is residential.

The picture of the front of the garage … i assume there are more panels on the side we can’t see.

I should have clarified that this is residential.
Just for laughs on my most recent experiment, I asked ChatGPT AI its opinion, but it passed the buck, like this:

Me: My building inspector says: "The water main shall serve as a grounding electrode with the connection within five feet of where it enters the building." He won't tell the power company to connect my house to power until I do this. I think he is being unreasonable. Am I correct?

ChatGPT: It's not possible to determine the reasonableness of the inspector's requirement without more information. Building codes vary by jurisdiction and the inspector's requirement may be in line with local codes and regulations. It's recommended to check the local building codes and consult with a licensed electrician or engineer to ensure compliance.

Just for laughs on my most recent experiment, I asked ChatGPT AI its opinion, but it passed the buck, like this:

Me: My building inspector says: "The water main shall serve as a grounding electrode with the connection within five feet of where it enters the building." He won't tell the power company to connect my house to power until I do this. I think he is being unreasonable. Am I correct?

ChatGPT: It's not possible to determine the reasonableness of the inspector's requirement without more information. Building codes vary by jurisdiction and the inspector's requirement may be in line with local codes and regulations. It's recommended to check the local building codes and consult with a licensed electrician or engineer to ensure compliance.
From now on we should name it Hal.