• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No previous C of O

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In PA we had the 1927 Fire & Panic Act as a building code since that time which was updated through out the years. Since the inception of our UCC, the state tells us that buildings that have no previous C of O through our Dept of L&I are not considered "certified" and they give the AHJ some subjective authority to have these uncertified buildings brought into a certain level of compliance. We can actually mandate whether we will accept a declaration of Ch 34 or use of the IEBC and a renovation level which is always my choice of direction.

With that being said I have the following question:

If a building was never compliant with the 1927 Fire & Panic Act or current UCC and has no record of a C of O, would any renovation automatically trigger Chapter 9, change of use and occupancy since there was never a standard established to begin with?

Here I would say that chapter 9 is only triggered if there is an actual change of occupancy even within the same use. We just began as of 1/1/12 to do commercial change of occupancy inspections and certs.

Very basic inspection for no change of use classification and no alterations. You are limited to inspecting for unsafes.

IMHO

No

[F] 903.2 Where required.

Approved automatic sprinkler systems in new buildings and structures shall be provided in the locations described in Sections 903.2.1 through 903.2.12.

These are not new buildings or structures.

Use the IBC Chapter 34 or the IEBC and IFC Chapter 46 to determine if it needs to be updated and to what level with regards to its present occupancy and the applicable code requirements.

I wouldn't think so. Even though businesses are required to secure a CO and the buildings do not have a documents to prove they ever had one does that mean that they didn't?

How dependable are the jurisdictions paperwork. Do you have all the documents on every building? I know we don't.

If someone has been in a building for upteen years and for some reason they need a CO, who are we to say what happened during previous administraton personel years and years back? It's not morally or ehtically correct to call someone a liar! :)

A lot of your enforcement probably depends on a lot of different scenarios. Age of building, how long the occupant has actually occupied the building etc. Were there "other" remodeling permits.... Too many questions to answer a general yes or no on this one in my opinion. Each one would be on a case by case basis.