• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non-loadbearing partitions in existing structure

Guardian

Hi,

I have built a house with a second floor that consists of one large space (1000 square feet) with a single bathroom. The design was approved by a Florida engineer and inspected by the building inspector who issued a Certificate of Occupancy in March of 2004. (For those of you who read my previous thread: the CO showed up!)

My question today is one of interpretation: If a room is entirely supported by the walls and the roof, say like a steel warehouse, can I add non-loadbearing partitions of the same type that I used on the ground floor?

Thank you

If the partitions are creating new rooms (and the AHJ uses appendix J of the IRC) then it's a level 2 alteration which would need a permit. If not, then no.

Mac said:
If the partitions are creating new rooms (and the AHJ uses appendix J of the IRC) then it's a level 2 alteration which would need a permit. If not, then no.
Didn't discuss the permit/ no permit issue....I say it will always need a permit...if you build a wall, you will most likely need to add receptacles....residentially...IMO

Guardian said:
Hi, I have built a house with a second floor that consists of one large space (1000 square feet) with a single bathroom. The design was approved by a Florida engineer and inspected by the building inspector who issued a Certificate of Occupancy in March of 2004. (For those of you who read my previous thread: the CO showed up!) My question today is one of interpretation: If a room is entirely supported by the walls and the roof, say like a steel warehouse, can I add non-loadbearing partitions of the same type that I used on the ground floor? Thank you
Once you pull a permit.