• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non-Potable Water Systems

jar546

Forum Coordinator
So here's something I've been mulling over: using non-potable water systems, like greywater or even rainwater, for stuff other than drinking. I mean, it sounds good on paper, right? We save some fresh water, do a little good for the planet—everyone wins. But the more I look into it, the more complicated it seems.

The IPC has some rules, but they're not one-size-fits-all, and there's a lot of debate about how safe and practical this really is. I get it; no one wants to mess with public health. The last thing we need is someone getting sick because a pipe got crossed somewhere. And honestly, how bulletproof can these dual systems be? We're all human; mistakes happen, especially when you're talking about installing or fixing these things.

Then there's the cost. Not every business—or homeowner, for that matter—has the cash to invest in a whole new plumbing system. So, what do you guys think? Is the conservation benefit worth the risks and the price tag? Or should we just stick to what we know works?

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts. This is one of those topics where there's no easy answer, and I bet you all have some strong opinions.