• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Notching and Boring Revisited

2. Drilling. Any stud shall be permitted to be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is not more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is not more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall be doubled with not more than two successive doubled studs bored. See Figures R602.6(1) and R602.6(2).
Exception: Use of approved stud shoes is permitted where they are installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I do not believe they make a stud shoe for a 3" pipe so the OP example is a fail

I thought you could double up the studs as an option if you don't bore more than two studs?

Also you need 5/8-inch from the edge on bored holes?

R602.6
Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall be doubled with not more than two successive doubled studs bored.

Sure looks to me like a 3” pipe. Zoom in real close and look at the left end of the horizontal section ... you can see a 3. Also, if it is a 2x6 stud, just judging by the scale of the pipe vs the stud you can see its bigger than 2”.

But hey ... give credit for neatly installing the nail plates.