• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NTSB Report Bridge Collapse

Bridge inspection programs, in general, are a joke.

A few years ago there was a bridge over a major river that had to be taken out of service. Why? NOT because of a bridge inspection, but because a boater traveling under it looked up and saw cracks.

I'd have to try to find the articles. I don't remember if a recent inspection ignored the VERY visible crack, or if it was reported but the person who needed to see the report didn't read it.

Found it: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/i-40-bridge-major-crack-tennessee-arkansas/

Regular inspections will help identify potential issues, prioritize maintenance, and ensure the continued safety and functionality of bridges.
ONLY if the inspectors see their job as truly important to maintaining the safety of others. If they see their jobs as only a way to pay the rent/mortgage, there will be continued failures due to observable deterioration being ignored.

There's a YouTube video by an attorney named Steve Lehto that discusses a case in which a driver's car was struck by a chunk of concrete that fell of an overhead bridge. The state of California declined to accept responsibility because they hadn't been notified of the problem. I'm sure California has a bridge inspection program, and I'd love to see the last three reports for that bridge, because if it's bad enough that chunks of concrete are falling onto cars, it's pretty bad. If the inspection reports DIDN'T put Caltrans on notice, the inspector(s) should be fired.