• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nuisance clean up procedure

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
I'm curious to hear how others handle what is a very basic, routine process:

Scenario: A notice to mow / clean up rubbish / etc. has not been complied with and the AHJ acts on the authority given under the code or other ordinances to abate the nuisance and then bills the property owner for the work. The property owner, after receiving the bill, calls to say either that the work has not been done as indicated on the bill, or that the crews took something of value.

Do you have your crews who are performing the work take photographs of the area mowed, or the trash picked up? Do your inspectors meet the crews as the work is being done to photograph / supervise / document? Do you just rely on the statement of the crews as to what was done?

We unfortunately have this happen too often, and I have to think we're making it too complicated for the seemingly simple process that this should be. How do you handle it?

We don't do code enforcement, weeds, auto's, etc.....but when I do property maintenance stuff, and I know our code enforcement folks do also, document, document, document. I know it's a PITA, but when you have to justify your actions to higher ups, makes it a whole bunch easier when you have the documentation. JMHO

They should have cut their own grass before it got to that point. I would drop in on the grass cutting crew from time to time to let them know that you are going to check up on them. That will keep them honest. I don't think we have ever had complaints that the crew didn't actually do the work or that they stole stuff. Keep an eye on that crew.

Since this is a legal matter looks like they should document before cutting and after

If it ever went to court

Lots of pictures - before, during, and after. A good paper trail - document, document, document. Lastly, I take someone with me when dealing with nuisance abatements as a witness. This usually stops the accusations.

Sue