• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NUMBER OF EXITS/ R2 OCCUPANCY/ IBC

VLADIMIR LEVIN

Existing historic building converted to 3 story mixed use building. M occupancy on ground level, R2 (apartments) on 2nd and 3rd floor. 13 apartments total of which 4 are 2 story (with entrance on 2nd floor). Plan attached

Please check my code analysis, below.

In the 2 story apartments the living space and entry is on 1st floor, and bedrooms on 2nd floor.
1006.2 says "rooms, areas, or spaces within a story shall be provided with the number of exits or access to exits in accordance with this section"
The apartment occupant load is less than 20, and the common path of egress travel from the bedroom level down (via stair) to the apartment exit door is less then 125'.
And, 1006.3.2 says " the path of egress travel shall not pass through more than one adjacent story"
Conclusion:
1 exit is required per Table 1006.2.1, and egress travel from bedroom level to lower level to exist door is permitted.

Moving on, the 2nd floor has 2 exits from that story required per Table 1006.3

The 2 story apartments do not have EERO's and are not required to per Section 1030 which requires EERO's in "R-2 occupancies located in stories with only one exit or access to only one exit". These 2 story apartments have access to 2 exits on the 2nd floor.

Now, returning back to the 3rd story.
Of the 8 total apartment, 4 of them are the 2nd floors of the 2 story apartments which exit on the story below.
The remaining 4 apartments exit on the 3rd story which has only one exit which is allowed by Table 1006.3.3(1) meeting the following requirements:
- 3rd story, 4 dwelling units, <125' common path of egress travel, sprinklered, and provided with EERO's

Attachments

• EXIT PLAN.pdf
    451.1 KB · Views: 6
Existing historic building converted to 3 story mixed use building. M occupancy on ground level, R2 (apartments) on 2nd and 3rd floor. 13 apartments total of which 4 are 2 story (with entrance on 2nd floor). Plan attached

Please check my code analysis, below.

In the 2 story apartments the living space and entry is on 1st floor, and bedrooms on 2nd floor.
1006.2 says "rooms, areas, or spaces within a story shall be provided with the number of exits or access to exits in accordance with this section"
The apartment occupant load is less than 20, and the common path of egress travel from the bedroom level down (via stair) to the apartment exit door is less then 125'.
And, 1006.3.2 says " the path of egress travel shall not pass through more than one adjacent story"
Conclusion:
1 exit is required per Table 1006.2.1, and egress travel from bedroom level to lower level to exist door is permitted.

"In the 2 story apartments the living space and entry is on 1st floor, and bedrooms on 2nd floor."

I thought the apartments were on the second and third floors.

"In the 2 story apartments the living space and entry is on 1st floor, and bedrooms on 2nd floor."

I thought the apartments were on the second and third floors.
They are on the 2nd/ 3rd fl. floor.
I meant 1st/2nd floor(s) relative to the 2 story apartments