• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC - Cost of DOB permit to repair or replace gas piping/pressure test.

macavelly

I recently had a fire on the outside gutter of my house in NYC (the fire never got inside, only burnt the gutter) and ConEd pinned the gas meter regardless.

They sent a letter stating need a licensed plumber to repair or replace all defective equipment and as part of the self-certification process, the plumber is responsible for submitting a pressure test affidavit, letter of intent, or DOB Certificate.

I email two plumbing companies and without even an on-site visit, one said just for the permit alone would be $4500 and the other said $3800. Any repairs that needs to be done would be an additional cost.

Is the permit cost really that high?

I looked at the NYC DOB website and it states a Limited Alteration Application (LAA) permit ranges from $130 to $280. LAA permits are used for:
  • Plumbing work
  • Fire suppression piping replacement and repairs
  • Oil burner installations that do not include construction work

one said just for the permit alone would be $4500 and the other said $3800.
Only another plumber would think that is okay. Reach out to the utility and the Fire Department.... If there was no gas-anything involved ConEd shouldn't have been notified. What about your insurance company?

The fire was on the 3rd floor gutter and all the gas lines are in the basement, so no where remotely close to the fire. But FDNY, I guess, called ConEd and as long as they hear the word fire they pin the gas off.

The ConEd guy that came and pinned the meter made it seem like a simple thing to get fixed. He said "all you need is a licensed plumber to certify the lines and they will turn it back on" Insurance said we'd have to find a local plumber ourselves.