• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC eventual gas ban

There is an industry tied to climate change. The solar industry is one facet and it is mostly populated with get rich quick entrepreneurs. The government slush funds drew them in. The players are good at furthering their objectives and once it became a cause celebre we were doomed.

In the not too distant future, a large portion of the PV that has been installed will begin to fail. As fossil fuel wanes and solar takes over we will reach a point of no return....solar will crap out and the lights will go out.

Scoffers tell me that I am wrong about the demise of solar. There is after all a twenty year warranty. The stuff is light gauge aluminum on a roof. The Sun will kill it just like it kills everything else. I have witnessed how it is put together and it’s not good. Every array has bare copper ground wire in contact with the aluminum module frames and aluminum racking. Not one fastener was torqued and the expansion of aluminum on a roof is a concern. It goes together like IKEA furniture…..nobody reads the directions and there’s parts left over.

Battery powered cars are another boondoggle. I can obtain fuel for my Tundra with little inconvenience. My brother-in-law relies on Edison to charge his Tesla battery. I have choices and there is a marketplace that determines the cost of gasoline. Edison is a monopoly. Of course my brother-in-law can get juiced from his Tesla solar array….for now. So he’s $150k into a fancy car and solar on his roof and somehow it made financial sense.

The proponents of climate change have studied the bugaboo from my youth…Acid Rain. People figured out that it was a scare tactic. So this time around a softer alarm bell has been rung….and after all, isn’t the climate always changing….who can deny that?

The knee jerk reactions by politicians is awful. Eliminating natural gas is shortsighted at best and criminal at worst. Killing the Gas Company and handing the spoils to Edison will hurt. What are the unintended consequences?…and rest assured there will be some. Whole industries will disappear and be supplanted by new, largely uncharted territory. How many fires are caused by residential natural gas systems…how about fires from faulty electrical? Where will the copper be sourced…not the USA. What will become of a few trillion solar panels.…the many trillions of lithium batteries.

Statistics are suspect….statisticians claim that the US is responsible for 14% of the global warming emissions. Next is China at 28% with the rest of the Earth’s inhabitants contributing 56% (the statistician was a women). How is it that the USA will bear 100% of the grief for 14% of the problem.

Last edited:
"Statistics are suspect….statisticians claim that the US is responsible for 14% of the global warming emissions. Next is China at 28% with the rest of the Earth’s inhabitants contributing 56% (the statistician was a women). How is it that the USA will bear 100% of the grief for 14% of the problem."

Because it is politically correct to blame all the world's problems on the USA.

"Statistics are suspect….statisticians claim that the US is responsible for 14% of the global warming emissions. Next is China at 28% with the rest of the Earth’s inhabitants contributing 56% (the statistician was a women). How is it that the USA will bear 100% of the grief for 14% of the problem."

Because it is politically correct to blame all the world's problems on the USA.
I never herd of blaming USA for all the worlds problems.

And Germanies average electrical rates are 3 times higher than ours

Germany electricity prices​

Germany electricity prices
Household, kWh
Business, kWh
Euro
0.320​
0.210​
U.S. Dollar
0.363​
0.238​
Germany, March 2021: The price of electricity is 0.363 U.S. Dollar per kWh for households and 0.238 U.S. Dollar for businesses which includes all components of the electricity bill such as the cost of power, distribution and taxes. For comparison, the average price of electricity in the world for that period is 0.136 U.S. Dollar per kWh for households and 0.124 U.S. Dollar for businesses. We calculate several data points at various levels of electricity consumption for both households and businesses but on the chart we show only two data points. For households, the displayed number is calculated at the average annual level of household electricity consumption. For businesses, the displayed data point uses 1,000,000 kWh annual consumption.

The renewables surcharge now accounts for just over 23 percent of a household’s electricity bill. It corresponds to the difference between the wholesale price and the higher, fixed price for green energy, which is guaranteed by law to renewable power producers for 20 years. Grid operators pass on the difference to consumers.

Since the end of the last ice age approximately 10,000 years ago the earth's oceans have risen roughly 200 feet! So the average rise has been about 2 feet every 100 years for the last 10,000 years. The earth has been through many cycles of glaciation and warming. The activities of mankind may have a measurable effect, but are tiny compared to the forces of nature that caused our current warming cycle and will dictate the start of the next ice age.