• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC Penthouse

King

I have a penthouse condo project in NYC, and I have the following questions:

The existing upper level now only has a 4' deep platform. Is it possible to extend the floor from wall to wall?

If so, what do I need to check to make sure this would not go over the max. floor area?

King said:
I have a penthouse condo project in NYC, and I have the following questions:The existing upper level now only has a 4' deep platform. Is it possible to extend the floor from wall to wall?

If so, what do I need to check to make sure this would not go over the max. floor area?
The post begs many, many questions.

So are you asking about creating new habitable space by introducing a new floor into the upper half of the upper level? Can you walk below the 4' deep platform? Is there head room above the platform? Will the new upper level only be available to the lower level? Do you really wish to a create an additional story?

imhotep said:
The post begs many, many questions. So are you asking about creating new habitable space by introducing a new floor into the upper half of the upper level? Can you walk below the 4' deep platform? Is there head room above the platform? Will the new upper level only be available to the lower level? Do you really wish to a create an additional story?
Yes, u can walk below 4'deep platform.

Yes, there is head room above the platform.

Yes, the upper floor is connected to the lower floor by stair.

No, no additional story will be created.

Thx!!!