• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Obscuring Fire Rated Glass

Loren Stu

I work in a hospital and have several areas where blinds have been affixed to rated frame or over them to obscure windows and side lights.
What are the options and alternatives for obscuring the views through these panes? Are there approved films? Films applied magnetically to the frames? Approved frosting sprays?
I've heard removing the blind brackets, filling the holes and then suspending the blinds with magnets. Something other than blinds would be preferable.
Thanks in advance.
Loren

Thats an odd question. What’s wrong with the blinds? But yes, there are several frosted films available that can obscure the view.

Thats an odd question. What’s wrong with the blinds? But yes, there are several frosted films available that can obscure the view.
Attaching blinds, or nearly anything not listed for that fire door, violates the listing of the door. And healthcare is especially fussy. I'd guess the annual fire door inspection flags it.