• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occuancy of RV Boat Storage

MarkRandall

Silver Member
Looking at designing an RV/boat storage facility. I don't think I could be more confused as to what occupancy it falls under. After reviewing the code and a quick search here, here are some options (but what one is correct?).

S-1 Dry Boat storage

S-2 Parking Garages

H-? I read a lengthy post here about fire suppression for an RV storage facility in Texas. The post was long and my head is spinning, but I think it was saying H-1 occupancy. H occupancy seems overkill for a storage facility for RV's and boats.

Anyone have any opinions?

Re: Occuancy of RV Boat Storage

I would consider it a Group S-1 occupancy. The sprinklers would be NFPA 13 extra hazard as a shielded fire.

S-1 Moderate Hazard. I don't think S-2 Low Hazard would be a good fit due to the fuel load and long term storage. Unless one could make the leap to use the S-2 open parking garage codes work? H-1 would be insane!

Sorry JP, I misread the OP. Lean toward S-1 due to boat storage.

Mark,

I would intially say S-1 as well! Dry boat storage IS listed in Section 311.2

in the `06 IBC.

What is the approx. size you are considering? Sprinkling might be a

requirement either by the actual adopted code, or by an amendment by the AHJ.

An "H" type "use of spaces" would seem to be overkill and an incorrect designation.