• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy and Fixture Count for Pool

Kevin

I have a country club pool and I'm looking at IBC and the ISPSC code. I think a country club pool fall under a Class C designation (semi-public related to lodging). I'm thinking that fits the most since you have to be a member. ISPSC has toilet fixture counts for Class A, B and Aquatic Recreation Facilities (splash parks)

IBC 1004 has a pool deck occupant load of 15 sf per person which is translating into over 1000 people. The actual furniture (chaise lounges) accommodates around 150 people.
Counting the pool, I'm looking at about 1500 people, and I'm thinking A-5 is the closest occupancy for fixture counts, but the fixture counts are excessive IMO. Any thoughts on this? I feel like I'm always falling into grey areas with code...

A few questions.

ISPSC has occupancy by water depth and ratio of pool deck to water surface. Water depths are wading or instructional, depth over 5ft and diving.
Not sure what swimming lanes should be. Competitive swim only requires 4ft depth per state guidelines, but I'm using that for the calcs. thoughts?

Since ISPSC code has toilet count requirements for Class A, B and the Splash parks, is it even required for other classes?

Thank you!

When you add up the fixtures don't forget to include the pool.... once for each sex.

When you add up the fixtures don't forget to include the pool.... once for each sex.
Yes, thank you.

ugh. I'm going up with over 20 fixtures for women when I'm using the last row of the assembly fixture count. That can't reflect reality...

I'm looking at about 1500 people
That number seems unreasonably high. There would have to be a parking lot with room for 750 autos. How about showers? When I was a kid we were required to shower before entering the pool and then again before getting dressed.... the last part was a mom rule.

Pennsylvania Plumbing Code 2018
TABLE 403.1
Footnote f:
The required number and type of plumbing fixtures for outdoor public swimming pools shall be in accordance with Section 609 of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code

Pennsylvania Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2018
International Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2018 (ISPSC 2018)
Section 609 Toilet Rooms and Bathrooms

609.1 General
Toilet and bath facilities shall be in accordance with Sections 609.2 through 609.9.

609.2 Number of Fixtures
Pools shall have toilet facilities with the number of fixtures in accordance with Section 609.2.1 or 609.2.2.

609.2.1 Water Area Less Than 7500 Square Feet
Facilities that have less than 7500 gross square feet (697 m2) of water area available for bather access shall have not less than one water closet for males, one urinal for males, one lavatory for males, one shower for males, two water closets for females, one lavatory for females and one shower for females.

609.2.2 Water Area 7500 Square Feet or More
Facilities that have 7500 gross square feet (697 m2) or more of water area available for bather access shall have not less than 0.7 water closet for males, one urinal for males, 0.85 lavatory for males, one shower for males, two water closets for females, one lavatory for females and one shower for females for every 7500 square feet (697 m2) or portion thereof. Where the result of the fixture calculation is a portion of a whole number, the result shall be rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Pennsylvania Plumbing Code 2018
TABLE 403.1
Footnote f:
The required number and type of plumbing fixtures for outdoor public swimming pools shall be in accordance with Section 609 of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code

Pennsylvania Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2018
International Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2018 (ISPSC 2018)
Section 609 Toilet Rooms and Bathrooms

609.1 General
Toilet and bath facilities shall be in accordance with Sections 609.2 through 609.9.

609.2 Number of Fixtures
Pools shall have toilet facilities with the number of fixtures in accordance with Section 609.2.1 or 609.2.2.

609.2.1 Water Area Less Than 7500 Square Feet
Facilities that have less than 7500 gross square feet (697 m2) of water area available for bather access shall have not less than one water closet for males, one urinal for males, one lavatory for males, one shower for males, two water closets for females, one lavatory for females and one shower for females.

609.2.2 Water Area 7500 Square Feet or More
Facilities that have 7500 gross square feet (697 m2) or more of water area available for bather access shall have not less than 0.7 water closet for males, one urinal for males, 0.85 lavatory for males, one shower for males, two water closets for females, one lavatory for females and one shower for females for every 7500 square feet (697 m2) or portion thereof. Where the result of the fixture calculation is a portion of a whole number, the result shall be rounded up to the nearest whole number.
It's interesting that Note F under IPC only refers to PUBLIC pools. ISPSC 2018 Chapter 4 Public Swimming Pools scoping mentions Class C, but there's no mention of Class C when you get to Section 410.1 Toilet Facilities. The local codes consider country clubs as private clubs too.

ISPSC - Chapter 1 Scope and Application
101.2 Scope
The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, renovation, replacement, repair and maintenance of aquatic recreation facilities, pools and spas. The pools and spas covered by this code are either permanent or temporary, and shall be only those that are designed and manufactured to be connected to a circulation system and that are intended for swimming, bathing or wading.

ISPSC - Chapter 3 General Compliance
301.1 Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall govern the general design and construction of public and residential pools and spas and related piping, equipment, and materials. Provisions that are unique to a specific type of pool or spa are located in Chapters 4 through 10.

ISPSC - Chapter 4 Public Pools
401.1 Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall apply only to Class A, Class B, Class C, Class E and Class F public swimming pools.

410.1 Toilet Facilities
Class A and B pools shall be provided with toilet facilities having the required number of plumbing fixtures in accordance with the International Building Code or the International Plumbing Code.

I think I'll still follow Section 609 for now, but the lack of any mention of private pools other than residential in ISPSC is confusing.

I did see this under the definitions:

RESIDENTIAL SWIMMING POOL (Residential Pool). A pool intended for use that is accessory to a residential setting and available only to the household and its guests. Other pools shall be considered to be public pools for purposes of this code.

The other confusing thing is that IBC Table 1004.5 does address outdoor pool occupancy loads at 50 gsf per occupant, which is giving me and occupant load of about 140 people inside the pool as opposed to the occupant load per ISPSC which is about 600.

This issue was mentioned in a post here from 2021, so hopefully it will be addressed in the future:

It's interesting that Note F under IPC only refers to PUBLIC pools. ISPSC 2018 Chapter 4 Public Swimming Pools scoping mentions Class C, but there's no mention of Class C when you get to Section 410.1 Toilet Facilities. The local codes consider country clubs as private clubs too.

ISPSC - Chapter 1 Scope and Application
101.2 Scope
The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, renovation, replacement, repair and maintenance of aquatic recreation facilities, pools and spas. The pools and spas covered by this code are either permanent or temporary, and shall be only those that are designed and manufactured to be connected to a circulation system and that are intended for swimming, bathing or wading.

ISPSC - Chapter 3 General Compliance
301.1 Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall govern the general design and construction of public and residential pools and spas and related piping, equipment, and materials. Provisions that are unique to a specific type of pool or spa are located in Chapters 4 through 10.

ISPSC - Chapter 4 Public Pools
401.1 Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall apply only to Class A, Class B, Class C, Class E and Class F public swimming pools.

410.1 Toilet Facilities
Class A and B pools shall be provided with toilet facilities having the required number of plumbing fixtures in accordance with the International Building Code or the International Plumbing Code.

I think I'll still follow Section 609 for now, but the lack of any mention of private pools other than residential in ISPSC is confusing.

I did see this under the definitions:

RESIDENTIAL SWIMMING POOL (Residential Pool). A pool intended for use that is accessory to a residential setting and available only to the household and its guests. Other pools shall be considered to be public pools for purposes of this code.

The other confusing thing is that IBC Table 1004.5 does address outdoor pool occupancy loads at 50 gsf per occupant, which is giving me and occupant load of about 140 people inside the pool as opposed to the occupant load per ISPSC which is about 600.

This issue was mentioned in a post here from 2021, so hopefully it will be addressed in the future:
If you are in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Codes over ride the international codes.