• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy area

elinamanvel

Hi guys!
I need some help with calculating the occupant load.
Here is a spa project 1995 sq and it has big outdoor courtyard 1236 sq. As I understood, I need to use type B for the cosmetic spa salon, but I'm so confused about what areas I should include in the calculations.
According to Table 1004.5 (California building code), for B type, I need to use 150 gross. So gross area is 1995-95 sq ft (interior walls)= 1900. 1900/150=12.6=13 occupant.
If I need to merge the outdoor area and spa area as it has been said in 1004.7 (outdoor areas), then I will get 1900(spa)+1236(courtyard)=3136 sq ft. 3136/150=21 occupant.
And the third way to calculate it is to divide the floor plan into several zones (patient rooms-business(150), reception#1-assembly-standing space(5), reception #1-fixed sitting area(18” linear length; 3 seats), storage-Accessory storage areas, mechanical equipment room (300) and reception#2- assembly without fixed seats-Unconcentrated(7). So, in this case, when I calculated all these small areas as different occupancy types, I am getting 60 occupants, which is not realistic number for this spa. And I also didn't include a courtyard area here.

Please see here ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVCSJTlzmhe6Q49HxlDT9fqB78lFeHH4/view?usp=drivesdk ) the floor plan in the attachment, and let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi guys!
I need some help with calculating the occupant load.
Here is a spa project 1995 sq and it has big outdoor courtyard 1236 sq. As I understood, I need to use type B for the cosmetic spa salon, but I'm so confused about what areas I should include in the calculations.
According to Table 1004.5 (California building code), for B type, I need to use 150 gross. So gross area is 1995-95 sq ft (interior walls)= 1900. 1900/150=12.6=13 occupant.
If I need to merge the outdoor area and spa area as it has been said in 1004.7 (outdoor areas), then I will get 1900(spa)+1236(courtyard)=3136 sq ft. 3136/150=21 occupant.
And the third way to calculate it is to divide the floor plan into several zones (patient rooms-business(150), reception#1-assembly-standing space(5), reception #1-fixed sitting area(18” linear length; 3 seats), storage-Accessory storage areas, mechanical equipment room (300) and reception#2- assembly without fixed seats-Unconcentrated(7). So, in this case, when I calculated all these small areas as different occupancy types, I am getting 60 occupants, which is not realistic number for this spa. And I also didn't include a courtyard area here.

Please see here ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVCSJTlzmhe6Q49HxlDT9fqB78lFeHH4/view?usp=drivesdk ) the floor plan in the attachment, and let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Welcome to the wide wide world of codes.

Will start backwards, plus, you might also wait for others to reply

If the courtyard, has its only means of exiting, than do not include OL with the building.

If the only way to get out of the courtyard is to go through the building, add the OL to the building, and figure exiting based on that.

Normal example, a bar that has an enclosed large patio. The only way to get to the patio, and exit from it is through the building. So OL and exiting has to be based on that.

So as for the interior, unless you are calculating plumbing fixtures, I do rough OL calculations, sq ft divided by the factor.

To me that comes close.

In my mind OL only matters when you are on the border line, as in will one more person require a fire sprinkler system, or rated corridors, or cause door swing requirements,,,,, ETC.

Not sure if that answers some of your question.

Yes look at the table, and see if it calls for GROSS or NET, and understand those terms.

Welcome to the wide wide world of codes.

Will start backwards, plus, you might also wait for others to reply

If the courtyard, has its only means of exiting, than do not include OL with the building.

If the only way to get out of the courtyard is to go through the building, add the OL to the building, and figure exiting based on that.

Normal example, a bar that has an enclosed large patio. The only way to get to the patio, and exit from it is through the building. So OL and exiting has to be based on that.

So as for the interior, unless you are calculating plumbing fixtures, I do rough OL calculations, sq ft divided by the factor.

To me that comes close.

In my mind OL only matters when you are on the border line, as in will one more person require a fire sprinkler system, or rated corridors, or cause door swing requirements,,,,, ETC.

Not sure if that answers some of your question.

Yes look at the table, and see if it calls for GROSS or NET, and understand those terms.
So when you have conference room in a office you include them into the 1 per 150 gross calculation?