• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

occupancy classication

2batsea

Looking for opinons on the definition of night club for WA. state. Would a strip club be a night club( A-2) or A-3?

Our state requires fire sprinkler's for any A2 that is a night club. So the argument is no alcohol is being served therefore not a night club. I agree it is an A2.

If no food and drink consumption, A3.

And not just to make a wisecrack about it being an amusement arcade or place of religious worship. .

the Dejavu chain did juice bars in areas where they could not get liquor licenses. That would still be an A-2.

brudgers said:
If no food and drink consumption, A3. And not just to make a wisecrack about it being an amusement arcade or place of religious worship. .
Why not A-3 : Art galleries, Dance halls (not including food or drink consumption), Exhibition halls,

or

A-4 : Assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting

events and activities with spectator seating...

2batsea welcome to the forum. It does not matter what type of drink they serve if they offer any beverage or food then it is an A-2.

Here is WA State definition of nightclub:

NIGHTCLUB. An A-2 occupancy use under the 2006 International Building Code in which the aggregate area of concentrated use of unfixed chairs and standing space that is specifically designated and primarily used for dancing or viewing performers exceeds three hundred fifty square feet, excluding adjacent lobby areas. “Nightclub” does not include theaters with fixed seating, banquet halls, or lodge halls.

if it is not a night club than is it a "Day Club"??

Trying to fiqure out the washington version of an A-2???

Jmorrison is the only add to the A-2 the 350 feet?? a restaurant that does not serve alchol is still and A-2??

Sounds like an A-2!!!

A-3 or I-4? 308.5.1 Adult care facility. A facility that provides accomodations for less than 24 hours for more than five unrelated adults and provides supervision and personal care services shall be classified as Group I-4.

Exception: A facility where occupants are capable of responding to an emergency situation without physical assistance from the staff shall be classified as Group A-3.

An A-2 is as defined in the IBC. The WA State definition of "nightclub" was added associated with a retroactive sprinkler requriement. If I have an existing tavern with no sprinklers and decide to add a live band and dance floor it needs to be a small dance floor