• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy classifciation for summer camp cabins

aducks28

Hi - Im trying to figure out how to classify summer camp cabins that are only occupied seasonally with 10 campers plus 2 adults, approx 700 sf. Campers stay here for only a week or two at a time. My initial thought is this could be classified as R-1 because it fits the "sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature" definition. Not sure if I want these to fall under R occupancy because then it may require sprinklers.

This is for a project in Oregon so I am using OSSC 2019 https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/OSSC2019P1

Any thoughts on this would be most helpful!

Who has jurisdiction on plan review

Might just want to call them and ask the questions

Maybe you could submit each cabin under the 2017 Oregon Residential Specialty Code as congregate living facilities per R101.2.3 and as defined in Chapter 2. Section R313 Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems says, "Not adopted by the State of Oregon." Section R101.2.3 describes this facility as accommodating 10 persons or less, but that number might be based on something other than a hard limit on how many people will actually sleep there. You could ask the code official about that. 12 beds might be a deal breaker.

So if sprinklers are required,,, is there a water supply to support a system??!

Maybe you could submit each cabin under the 2017 Oregon Residential Specialty Code as congregate living facilities per R101.2.3 and as defined in Chapter 2. Section R313 Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems says, "Not adopted by the State of Oregon." Section R101.2.3 describes this facility as accommodating 10 persons or less, but that number might be based on something other than a hard limit on how many people will actually sleep there. You could ask the code official about that. 12 beds might be a deal breaker.
Great point. I will look into this!

So if sprinklers are required,,, is there a water supply to support a system??!
Ya that would be an issue. I'm not sure there is a water supply easily accessible so I want to avoid sprinklers if I can.

Ya that would be an issue. I'm not sure there is a water supply easily accessible so I want to avoid sprinklers if I can.

That may be your out ??

Even though they make small self contained tanks and pumps