• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification A-2 or A-3

retire09

Silver Member
I have a Jumpin Junction business wanting to occupy an existing VB 5400sf nonsprinlered building.

They specialize in children's parties and entertainment. They will have no cooking facilities and will allow only cake, ice cream and delivered pizza as far as food and soft drinks will be available.

Lots of kids, definitely unfamiliar surroundings with sights and sounds that my be confusing even to the adults.

These uses are becoming more common these days.

Is this an A-2 or A-3 and why?

+ + +

I vote A-3, with the condition that they not have any food warming/

heating activites !....REASON: No production or heating of food

products on the actual site.....That said, ...I do not know how an

"employee only" designated microwave would be regulated.....If

some of the kiddies wanted to heat up or re-heat their slice of

pizza, no one is going to say "No!"

+ + +

By definition

A-2 Assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption....

It does not say anything about cooking or heating....

A-2 Assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption including, but not limited to:

A-3 Assembly uses intended for worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses not classified elsewhere in Group A including, but not limited to

The intended use of the facility is recreation and amusement. The food or drink consumption is ancillary similar to a bowling alley or amusment arcade or exhibition hall that may serve food and drink during an event.

It is an A-3 in my book

Any space can be considered used for food and/or drink consumption (how many eat at their desks in a Group B?). As mtlogcabin pointed out, it is the "intended" use that drives the classification.

RLGA said:
Any space can be considered used for food and/or drink consumption (how many eat at their desks in a Group B?). As mtlogcabin pointed out, it is the "intended" use that drives the classification.
So Chuck-e-Cheese is an A3?

Since They make most of their money with entertainment not food....

mark handler said:
So Chuck-e-Cheese is an A3?Since They make most of their money with entertainment not food....
You have to look at the "portion thereof" part of the Occupancy Group descriptions. The gaming 'portion' of a Chuck-e-Cheese would be classified as Group A-3, but the eating area would be classified as Group A-2, since that 'portion' is intended for food and drink consumption.

The A-2 classification of A-2 may be deemed as an accessory to the A-3 provided that it doesn't exceed 10% of the floor area per floor......... Thus a smart designer would delineate the A-2 portion to 10% or less floor area and Chuck E Cheese would indeed be an A-3.......

This doesn't mean that the sprinkler requirement is for the higher occupant load ----

508.2.2 Occupancy classification.

Accessory occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space.

A-4 , A-5 viewing of indoor and outdoor. Appears that you would classify these as A-2 if more then 10% of the occupants are eating and drinking i.e. hotdogs, popcorn, coke, beer etc?